12 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2018 10:37 AM by Tedd McHenry

ARAS - on top od PDM Pro or go fo rthe full ARAS solution

Philip Lane

I am a PDM Pro admin who is looking for a company-wide PLM solution.

I have read some on ARAS as being on top of PDM Pro, or it providing a full PDM through to PLM solution, connectors etc.

Obscure licensing and costs models at present, it seems. Or at least they are to me.

I am looking for recommendations / arguements etc for one method or the other.

I like PDM Pro very much as an engineering data management solution for Solidworks and would like to continue working with it, but if similar can be achieved with 1 (set of) tool rather than 2.....and grow PLM out into the whole company etc.

Thank you.

P. Lane.

• Re: ARAS - on top od PDM Pro or go fo rthe full ARAS solution
          Steve Ostrovsky

I can't comment on Aras, but I would suggest one thing. When considering PLM realize that it's a strategy for Product Lifecycle Management, not a single tool (even though many marketing machines will try to convince you otherwise). The components of your PLM strategy will comprise tools such as PDM Pro and others that best fit your business needs. If PDM Pro manages content creation and you need a way to deciminate that information to the rest of your organization, then look for a tool that will communicate easily with PDM Pro and provide a good front end to that particular group of users.

Best of luck to you in your search.

Michael Newell

Hello Philip,

If you have the time I would be interested in hearing what your PLM needs are. For instance BoM Management, Project Management, Reporting, Advanced Processes like ECX ect.

Thank you.

Philip Lane

Hi Mike.

Yes, all of the above....but I do not know what ECX is.

To be frank, I am not looking to go down the SmarTeam or Enovia routes. I never liked SmarTeam as an engineernig solution, and Enovia is a lock-in as far as I understand.

Any PLM option would need to be configurable to suit different departmetnal requirements of course.

I am limiting my options to -

1. PDM Pro for engineering design data + a PLM on top. There are many options. ARAs might be a good option as it has a Soldiworks plugin, but am not sure of the overall business model options. This option could be the most cost effective.

2. A good engineering PLM which also provides an engineering data PDM solution such as Winchill or Teamcentre. These are expensive.

Any solution has to integrate at some level with mid-range ERP's.

Thanks.

Glen Wielgos

Philip Lane wrote:

Hi Mike.

Yes, all of the above....but I do not know what ECX is.

To be frank, I am not looking to go down the SmarTeam or Enovia routes. I never liked SmarTeam as an engineernig solution, and Enovia is a lock-in as far as I understand.

Any PLM option would need to be configurable to suit different departmetnal requirements of course.

I am limiting my options to -

1. PDM Pro for engineering design data + a PLM on top. There are many options. ARAs might be a good option as it has a Soldiworks plugin, but am not sure of the overall business model options. This option could be the most cost effective.

2. A good engineering PLM which also provides an engineering data PDM solution such as Winchill or Teamcentre. These are expensive.

Any solution has to integrate at some level with mid-range ERP's.

Thanks.

Hi Philip,

We use Aras to manage ECO's currently and it's very flexible. We also were interested in the EPDM to Aras connector but it never seemed to gain my traction. Did you learn anything more about the connector? Is anyone using it?

Michael Newell

Hello Philip,

Since your original post SOLIDWORKS has introduced a new product called SOLIDWORKS Manage. We refer to it as PDM+ which will give you the extra functionality that SW PDM Pro doesn't have. The PDM Pro vault is integrated into the SOLIDWORKS Manage product so the two work together. The product has everything that you have been requesting in addition a really solid dashboard and reporting capability. If you have the interest reach out to your VAR or check it out on the SOLIDWORKS Site.

Best Regards, Mike

Matteo Orlandelli

Hi all,

I'm Aras administrator and CAD administrator in a mid-size international company. Aras is a very interesting tool, very customizable and powerfull. The CAD integration is something complex: we are currently using two different CAD system: SolidWorks and a "more or less obsolete" CAD called ThinkDesign. For these reason we have been forced to use the only one solution "ready" to connect both CAD systems. This solution is an Italian software (Direct PLM) and it's fine for me since I'm Italian also and developers of this product are also Aras partner.

You can easily find some video on this solution on the web.

If I were already managing my files with SolidWorks EPDM I would have for sure considered to use the EPLM connector for Aras. But we were coming from a different PDM system (DBWorks) and we had also to manage a ThinkDesign cad database.

I only suggest you to consider this: if you go with EPLM  way, you have to probably pay (and have to do with) 3 managing tools: Aras, EPDM, and EPLM ... choosing a "direct connector" to Aras, you will "save" on one tool ...

If you have any question I can try to answer! Remember what other people were telling you on this thread: PLM is a strategic approach not simply a software ... properly define your target and your needs, then implement the software you choose according to your strategy!

Tedd McHenry

Matteo:

It sounds like you have the background to help me with a decision.

My company currently uses DBWorks as a PDM system for SolidWorks CAD. We're not very satisfied with DBWorks and are considering proposing to management that the company switch to EPDM. However, our IT manager has a preference for Aras.  My gut feeling is that EPDM is a better solution for us, but I admit to prejudice because I have been the administrator of an EPDM system at a previous company but have no experience with Aras. So I'm trying to inform myself on the pros and cons of Aras as compared to EPDM. Let me explain a bit more about our situation, so you have the full picture.

While this is going on, the company is also preparing to switch to a new ERP system, which will be Sage X3. Engineering had very little say in that decision (as usual). However, Sage X3 does seem to integrate well with SolidWorks, particularly if EPDM is also being used. It's important to understand that all of the functions other than PDM that Aras normally provides will be handled by Sage X3, and it's too late to reverse that decision. That includes change control, MBOM management, product life cycle management, and so on. So, on the CAD side, all that's required is PDM functions: revision control, EBOM management, CAD workflow, and integration with Sage X3.

From what I have learned so far it appears that Aras would have been an excellent solution for us if we were going to make use of its full capabilities. But, given that most of what it does will already be done by Sage X3, it seems to me that just going with EPDM makes more sense, for us. I'm interested in your thoughts on that.

Matteo Orlandelli

Hi Tedd, sorry for late reply.

I think that if you are not going to manage into Aras other functions than classic PDM functions, probably your best choice is to go for EPDM, which has deeper integration with SolidWorks. I don't know Sage X3, only consider that usually a PLM is more flexible and easier to customize than an ERP system, and probably you will put all of your rules and processes logics into the IT dept hands (I mean: every time you need some customization, you probably won't be able to manage it yourself). And one more thing: I don't know if you need to manage replicated vault (to share CADs file database with remote sites). If ansewr is "yes", Aras is very powerfull and reliable on this, not sure how EPDM can manage this topic.