1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 145 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 11:31 AM by 1-LBMI5Y Go to original post
      • 60. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
        David Vernon
        Gary, thanks for the .xml tip, I intend to try it on one of our other stations.
        We have three of these HP machines, the other two have two gig of RAM and
        a Nvidia quadro 550 and a Nvidia quadro FX 3500 graphics cards.
        • 61. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
          Robert Chivers
          I have to comment on the original message and have to say that the 2009 release is a major step backwards compared to 2008. It's full of bugs and the performance is pathetic!.

I personally think Solidworks should be held accountable for producing a release that to be honest is far from being stable. I think it's far too easy for people to start blaming the hardware for the performance problems. How come you can have 2008 working perfect, install 2009 and have massive problems with the hardware?. Too many re-sellers and forum members are too quick to mention the 'upgrade to 64 bit and all you problems will be solved'. Absolute rubbish, so I upgrade to 64 bit but have to have another machine to do all my other tasks as the drivers aren't available. How's that productive!!! you end up having a CAD system that can't print/plot drawings??.

Also, when are Soildworks going to understand that in the real world companies cannot afford to update hardware every release. If Solidworks are going to release sub-standard software surely they should make it backwards compatible instead of leaving us with the problem!.

Come on Soildworks, get your act together give us stable productive software. Less of the shiney rendering showboating gimmicks.

• 62. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
            Dan Tegman
            I agree with Robert on this one, a friend of mine just had his VAR spec out his new Dell machine for SW09 because he was having the same problems we are all having with his older machine which is a copy of mine and as of last night his new new Dual core Bla-Bla-Bla machine does NOT work any better! Same exact issues!

Does SW not read these forums?

My VAR called me yesterday and wanted to know if I received my new Maint/upagrade bill for this year and I told them I won't be upgrading unless they can get this crashing issued resolved... they are sending someone out today.
            • 63. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
              David Vernon
              Regarding the .xml idea, we have now disabled windows explorer search altogether. We have been having a problem with the computer freezing and the only way out is to call up the task manager, delete explorer.exe and install it again. We think this is related to desktop search.
              However disabling search has not quickened up Solidworks. Opening a test drawing locally, our three stations take 4, 6 and 10 seconds to open it with SW already open. Mine, with only 1.5 gig of ram is the quickest at 4 seconds but we all have different cards as mentioned.
              I have not installed service pack 2 as yet but my colleagues have.
              I was wrong by the way, the station with the FX 3500 card is an HP xw4400 Intel core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4Ghz.
              This one takes 6 seconds to open the test drawing.
              Regarding Solidworks, we cannot afford to upgrade all the computers every year and have been assured by our Solidworks seller that our machines should work with it, apart from their comment about our graphics cards mentioned earlier.
              We remain disappointed by the loss of speed in opening drawings.
              Our main problem now though, new with 2009,is Solidworks not refreshing drawings, models and thumbnails after editing.
              You edit a part and the drawing does not change. When you close down, the thumbnail image on the folder has not changed either.
              If you print the drawing, it prints with the previous model details before the editing.
              We have also had difficulties with trying to delete dimensions from drawings, they stubbornly refuse to go.
              • 64. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                Jeff Holliday
                Regarding the "not refreshing" - be sure "lightweight" mode is turned off.
                • 65. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                  Bruce Goodell
                  David,
                  We have also been frustrated with the issue of changed features not refreshing in a drawing. If you notice it happening again, try changing the view to shaded, then back to HLV. In our cases, this has fixed every time. Sorry, not fix, bandaided.
                  • 66. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                    Anna Wood
                    I have mixed emotions on newer versions of software needing to run on older hardware.

My general feeling is I expect SW to use all the power that is available from the most current hardware.

If new software had to run well on old hardware, we would still all be using Commadore 64's.

Needing new computer hardware is not something we get to hung up on at our company. The engineering computers have a long life as they are handed down to others in the company.

FWIW,

• 67. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                      John Huntington

Anna Wood wrote:

If new software had to run well on old hardware, we would still all be using Commadore 64's.

FWIW,

That's a bit drastic example but in reality you should on a CAD computer get 3-4 years out of it before you have to pitch it, you shouldn't need to upgrade it every year. I ran SW 2006 just fine on my old computer at my last job so when I came to my new job I had one that was twice as nice built figuring it would be fine for 2007 I was wrong. My old computer was like a P4 and 2 gigs of ram with 256 video where my new one was a Pentium core duo w/ 4 gigs of ram and 512 video. And on my old computer I would run SW 2006/ACAD 2007 at the same time.

I know I can't compare models to models as it is two different companies but I know the last company I worked at I had a lot more complex models. I ended up having to pitch the New computer I had built to the one I have now so I would stop getting the out of memory errors because 4 gigs of ram was not cutting it. Maybe in 2009 that computer would have been fine, the biggest issue I have with 64bit is I was force to go to Vista and 64 bit is not fully supported with a lot of software.

I do wonder if 2009 stability is based on 32/64bit xp/vista because as it stands now I have never had as much problems with SW freezing as I do now, I have been using SW since 04. I love SW, I never thought I would like anything more than ACAD but I wish it had more stability.
                      • 68. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                        Anna Wood
                        John,

That is why I say I have mixed emotions on the subject. My example is extreme, but where do you draw the line? Someone will always be on the wrong side of that line and will be upset.

How old should your computer equipment be before you should reasonably expect a new version of software not to run well? As a code writer do you write code to take full advantage of the latest technology or not?

I also beleive that having to support XP, Vista, x64, x32, OpenGL or DirectX and whatever machinations of Microsoft, Nvidia, ATI, Intel and AMD has got to be killer for those writing code. Plus throw in all the other software we use that has code that fights each other. Geez, I wouldn't want to be software developer, seems like a no win situation in many respects.

Tough questions I beleive for any company writing software. Especially the type of software we use that really taxes a computer systems resources.

FWIW, just some general thoughts with no real answers,

• 69. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                          David Vernon
                          [Quote

I also beleive that having to support XP, Vista, x64, x32, OpenGL or DirectX and whatever machinations of Microsoft, Nvidia, ATI, Intel and AMD has got to be killer for those writing code. Plus throw in all the other software we use that has code that fights each other. Geez, I wouldn't want to be software developer, seems like a no win situation in many respects.

End of quote

I do get the complexity of trying to please all users with such diverse needs and equipment. I think coming on here and having a moan is good because it helps you to get it all in perspective. We can't stop progress and hang on to one version of Solidworks, just concentrating on refining it down to sort all of the bugs. We love some of the improvements made since we swapped over from AutoCAD all those years ago. Hopefully the bugs and the need to keep upgrading are outweighed by the benefits. I would not want to go back to an ultra stable copy of the first issue of the program. Part of the skill in using any program is learning its bugs and developing workarounds. As an employee I don't have to pay for it though so this does flavour my opinion.
                          • 70. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                            John Huntington
                            I agree having to code for all types of software is not fun but there are thousands of software developers that do it all the time and for a lot less money per end user. But when someone like me exceeds the recommended spec and has the video card that has been tested and certified for the software then I should have like hardly and problems right?

I would just like to go a day without solidworks not crashing, everyday I check for a patch that I hope will fix all my problems. What is weird is it seems SW 2009 sp 0 was more stable than SP2 maybe I should reload the software.

I run a host of other programs on this computer, even ACAD 2008 and I rarely have any issues with any of them.
                            • 71. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                              David Vernon
                              That's interesting John, I keep meaning to install the latest update to service pack two but I think I'll hold off.
                              Anyone else had problems with two monitors and SW09?
                              • 72. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                                Dan Tegman

Dan Tegman wrote:

Ok, I need to look at all of this again. I am reading all that you are saying "That my machine is outdate and all but i'm also reading that some of you have very nice computers capable of controlling NASA.

Again here are my spec's.
                                Dell Precision PWS380

Intel Pentium (R) 4, CPU 3.00ghz (2993mhz)

MS XP Pro, sp3, ver:2002

Ram: 2.00 GB

Directx ver: 9.00

Graphics card: Quadro FX1400

Forceware ver:162.65

Mem: 128mb

Video bios ver: 5.41.02.43.09

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI express x16

I went to SW web site and my machine meets all of the the MINIMUM requirments so it should work, not as fast as most of yours but... with that said my friend just bought a new Dell with these spec's:

Dell T7400-32 bit
                                Quad core intel xeon 3.20GHz,2x6m L2, 1600
                                XP Pro
                                8GB,DDR2 SDRAM FBD mem, 800MHz ECC (4 Dimms)
                                512MB PClex16 ATI Fire GL V7700
                                Boot hard drive:250GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s, 7200 rpm HD, 8MB DataBurst Cache

And It crashs 5-8 times a day! and that cost him $5566.00 for the SW09 certified Dell machine.

I have zero problem buying a new puter, but there is no way in *** that I am going to pay 5k and have the same problem as my dino machine gives me!

I am ready to order the RIGHT puter today, but what do I buy????
                                Where do we turn for help?

Thank you...
                                Dan

UniqueMetalcraft inc.

• 73. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                                  Paul Lemke
                                  Anna,

I think you are dead on when you are talking about the problems that exist and bugs. I also think the moaning is useless. It is just another excuse that people use to avoid/evade facts of reality. You must deal with problems instead of wishing the didn't exist. I think some people also forget the fact that many people try to skimp on buying their computers or buy the cheaper home version OS and other errors.

As for Dan's original question. I would just bite the bullet and shoot your machine. My current config is the one on the signature line and it is working for 2 people here and there are a few other configs that work as well.

Here is another one:
                                  Dell PWS390
                                  Intel 6600 @2.40 Ghz
                                  4gb
                                  quadro 3450

Read Anna's solidmuse website and she has a google doc spreadsheet that proves expensive hardware is NOT best and that hardware does make a huge difference!

http://spreadsheets.google.com...z7wTpIkC7LAuGJ0evMeWQw
                                  • 74. SW2009 is unstable and slower than SW2008
                                    Josh Hershberger
                                    My 2 cents:
                                    Ever since "upgrading" to SW2009 we have been crashing 4-5 times a day per workstation. We have:
                                    FireGL V3100 graphics cards
                                    2GB of RAM
                                    P4 processors
                                    XP Pro SP2
                                    on Dell Precision 380's

...shouldn't be having any problems. Very disappointed.
                                    1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next