18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2017 10:53 PM by Rob Rodríguez

Photoview vs Visualize

Thomas Loeff

Here is the same model rendered on both platforms; a candy dispenser for a shopping center.  Clearly, the PV is better (lighter background).  Yes, the perspective is slightly different, the back plates are different.  However, the models are the same and the materials were all applied in SW.

I can't tell what's causing the blotchy rectangles in the Visualize render.  I also don't understand why the colored plastic domes look so different.

Thoughts?

TL

• Re: Photoview vs Visualize
          John Shaw

I like how fast Visualize renders but jeez do they want a pile of cash for the "Pro" version just to get lighting and animation. Different lighting might help your Visualize version but unless you have the pro version forget it.

Dan Pihlaja

My first thought is:

Photoview comes free with Solidworks, and produced the better image.....

Visualize is a separate purchase.......

Ummmm

Can you remind me what you are paying for in Visualize?

Scott Ellery

Hi Thomas ,

you have a lot of refraction going on in that render what pass count are you on?

also keep in mind that environment and light can play a big role on your render quality so make sure you utilize the best environment for your product as well as you have much more control of your materials in visualize opposed to PV360 so I would take a look at tweaking them to get exactly the look you are going for.

you are generally going to get a much more realistic result out of Visualize as it's rendering engine is non-bias where PV360 is a bias rendering engine and will simply not produce the same quality render. some caveats are that some tweaking may be required when exporting from SOLIDWORKS due to the fact that you have so many more robust options in Visualize over PV.

all you have to do is checkout some of the community content that is being posted in this forum to see the insane kind of renders you can get from visualize.

Visualize rendered content

also would like to add to the Visualize Pro conversation as well as many people think it is only for Animations or standalone lighting and that is tip of the iceberg.

Keep in mind that Visualize pro offers you :

You get the Render Queue to stack renders (This is much more reliable than the task scheduler...you can even pause your renders)

Can have design configurations and render out multiple design ideas at once

render different pass types for post processing

Post-Processing options

VR and Pano interactive web content

Export motion studies into Visualize from SOLIDWORKS with auto keyframing (utilize motors and gravity)

Visualize Boost for GPU network rendering and render offloading

and there is much much more and who knows what we are going to get in 2018.

SOLIDWORKS put out a good blog on this as well

http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksblog/2016/08/direct-benefits-solidworks-visualize-professional.html

Don't Give up with a little tweaking you can make your renders look amazing

EDIT : another thing I noticed after is that you mentioned the appearances were applied in SOLIDWORKS. I would always apply visualize specific appearances to any model imported into Visualize as 9 times out of 10 it will look vastly better. also this is the only way to compare the two softwares as straight imports will generally not look great.

Dan Pihlaja

Awesome!   Thanks for the overview!

Rob Rodríguez

Reading through this thread and thought I chime in a bit.

I'd say there are two reasons the renders Thomas shows look different and those reasons have been covered here.  Lighting and Materials.

On a more general note, PhotoView and Visualize are built on completely different rendering engines.  While the engines try and achieve the same things they do it in different ways and therefore your PhotoView image/animation and your Visualize image/animation are not going to look the same (that doesn't mean one is better or worse, just not the same).  With time and effort you can probably achieve results that are close in looks but really, what's the point.  Just use the software that you like better or works better for your needs.  Both are capable of achieving about the same results although each does have some unique features.

Scott makes a good point with this reply

"EDIT : another thing I noticed after is that you mentioned the appearances were applied in SOLIDWORKS. I would always apply visualize specific appearances to any model imported into Visualize as 9 times out of 10 it will look vastly better. also this is the only way to compare the two softwares as straight imports will generally not look great."

In my opinion this is a large problem of Visualize.  When you import your SolidWorks model into Visualize it should automatically assign a native Visualize material in place of the SolidWorks material.  For example.  If your SolidWorks model has red low gloss plastic applied then when that model is imported Visualize should see the SolidWorks red low gloss plastic, throw it away and replace it with a native Visualize red low gloss plastic.  The user should not have to manually do this.  SolidWorks Visualize should have this level of compatibility with SolidWorks files.  On the other hand its a lot of work for the user to switch out all the SolidWorks materials with Visualize equivalent ones because they don't exist.  The user has to create (and save them for re-use).  The default/stock materials shipped with Visualize really aren't all that comprehensive (at the least they should match up with the SolidWorks CAD appearances). There should be an "official Visualize material library".   The point is, if you want to compare apples to apples images/materials (as Scott mentions) you have to do a fair amount of material work (or re-work) in Visualize.

Lets talk Visualize Pro.

Someone asked the price.  It's $2999.00 USD to purchase and $749/yr for subs.

Scott pointed out what you get in Pro.  Just for comparison to PhotoView (that's what the thread is about) I've added the red text.

"Keep in mind that Visualize pro offers you :

You get the Render Queue to stack renders (This is much more reliable than the task scheduler...you can even pause your renders)  This is in PhotoView as well ,as the Task Scheduler
                    Can have design configurations and render out multiple design ideas at once  PhotoView can also have multiple design configurations using display states and configurations.  It can not render out multiple configurations at once, you would have to use Task Scheduler or create a macro to do this.
                    render different pass types for post processing PhotoView only offers 3 pass types, ambient occlusion, alpha and full color.
                    Post-Processing options PhotoView has post-processing option in the final render window.
                    VR and Pano interactive web content PhotoView doesn't have this but there is a $99 plugin that will give it to you.
                    Export motion studies into Visualize from SOLIDWORKS with auto keyframing (utilize motors and gravity)  PhotoView is fully integrated with SolidWorks Motion.
                    Visualize Boost for GPU network rendering and render offloading"  PhotoView has network rendering and doesn't require a GPU accelerated machine.

Not mentioned but you do also get physical light ability in Visualize Pro.  PhotoView has this as well.  Personally if I wanted more lighting control in Visualize I'd keep the standard version and buy HDR Light Studio.  Unfortunately, HDR Light Studio isn't offered for PhotoView.

Brian Hillner

Hi Rob,

Thanks as always for the feedback. We are striving for zero re-work with importing a SW file into Visualize.

Your comment below should do just that in Visualize: red glass in PV360 = red glass appearance in Visualize:

When you import your SolidWorks model into Visualize it should automatically assign a native Visualize material in place of the SolidWorks material.  For example.  If your SolidWorks model has red low gloss plastic applied then when that model is imported Visualize should see the SolidWorks red low gloss plastic, throw it away and replace it with a native Visualize red low gloss plastic.

If that is not the case, then please let us know, and please be specific for each appearance type you find this issue during the transition from PV360 to Visualize. Thanks!

Rob Rodríguez

Hey Brian,

That does happen (and works as intended I believe) but.......and I could be wrong about this, so if I am feel free to correct me.

The conversion is just taking the SolidWorks appearance settings and plugging them into the correct settings of a Visualize material.  What you get is a generic visualize material with the settings added.  The generic material (for whatever material type) will be the correct color, or have transparency, or have reflections, etc. but that doesn't mean its a great looking, optimized Visualize material. It just means in general its correct based on the SolidWorks appearance settings (which are set for OpenGL and RealView inside SolidWorks) that were transferred.  That's different than replacing the SolidWorks appearance with a nicely calibrated and optimized native Visualize material that is setup to look great in Visualize.

I believe that's why Scott said (and I agree with him)  "another thing I noticed after is that you mentioned the appearances were applied in SOLIDWORKS. I would always apply visualize specific appearances to any model imported into Visualize as 9 times out of 10 it will look vastly better. also this is the only way to compare the two softwares as straight imports will generally not look great."

Wojciech Paterski

Hi Rob,

Could you point in the direction for this plug-in for PV360 for panoramic and vr renders?

Just to see what it is

Chris Saller

I think PW is easier to use, but Viz is better rendering. But, Viz is not very intuitive. Not much help or tutorials on Viz anywhere.

Scott Ellery

as someone who is still actively using both I would say that visualize is way easier to use personally just need to get comfortable with it just as , I'm sure, you feel very comfortable with PV.

ther me are tutorials on MySolidworks that are high level but can get you going and there are third party resources as well.

solidprofessor has some classes on it and Alen Topic and I wrote a course that dives into every feature of Visualize from front to back.

also the forum is a great place for tips and tricks, but defiantly the more your work with it the easier it gets.

AND NO FRIGGING PREVIEW WINDOW......sorry that one drives me nuts about PV.

Alin Vargatu

Rob Rodríguez, would you please provide an update about cases where a user should chose PV360 over Visualize and vice versa?

Rob Rodríguez

Hi Alin,

Not sure there is any update?  In my opinion both software's can still achieve about the same results.  There are small differences.... for example, PV360  can do contour and cartoon rendering..Vis can't...........Vis offers more control over appearances that PV360 doesn't.

The most important fact that I see between the two.......DS is spending much more resources (time and money)  enhancing Vis than it is PV360.  A quick look at 2018 beta shows that.  What does that mean?  Not sure really?   Doesn't make any sense to me to keep two completely different rendering technologies and have them fight for resources.  Makes more sense to consolidate and spend all the resources on one.