3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 6:59 PM by Josh Zerlan

Multi angle mates

Josh Zerlan

I have been fighting with some mates for several days now and I've come to a dead end. I don't know what else to try, so I figure I would ask you folks. I am new to Solidworks and I'm trying to learn, but this has me completely stumped.

I have an open topped box with angled walls. I am trying to mate all of the walls to the floor. Each wall is at a different angle from every other wall. I've made planes and cuts that should match up, but they simply won't mate and I don't know why.

For example, the left side wall will not made to the door AND the floor at the same time. It will mate one way or another, but not both. I don't quite know why. I've tried changing up the cuts, and I've made them match to the angle, but it simply won't mate. If anyone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong, I would really appreciate it. I am having a similar problem with the right side wall. I haven't even tackled the back wall yet, but I imagine it will be easier to resolve, since it's a far more simple wall and set of mates than the others, due to the angle of the door.

The door is not intended to move, BTW. I am attaching the files I'm working with. This was really an experiment in creating a working assembly out of separate pieces, but it's turned in to a nightmare. I realize some of the parts/cuts/angles are kind of weird at the moment, but that was from my experimentation trying to figure out what's broken (and not having any luck) - I really wish Solidworks would tell you WHY it is refusing to mate.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to know how to avoid this type of problem in the future.

• Re: Multi angle mates
          John Stoltzfus

Josh Zerlan wrote:

I really wish Solidworks would tell you WHY it is refusing to mate.

Maybe a little champagne and a nice little dance and she'll be good from there

I did take a look but, there is a lot going wrong in your initial part design, not sure where you started from, But the parts as designed is not a SolidWorks issue at all, it is the part sizes.  Correct the sizes and use point to point coincident mates then you might have a chance, but even then I really doubt it. 

There are steps to design intent and it really depends where you want to end up at, there are different starting points...

Josh Zerlan

Hi,

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it! When you say to correct the sizes, what do you mean? The size of each individual part is what they are supposed to be, including angles as far as corners go.

I didn't think it was a SolidWorks issue; I know it's a problem with the parts, but I don't know where the problem(s) is/are. Each individual piece has a specific dimension and angle. I've built this based off of the area it was intended to occupy. I'm happy to start over from scratch, and if there's something I should be doing (or not doing), I'm glad to listen...

Tom dunn

Josh, I would start by looking at you part called "bottom". is this dimensioned correctly? My first comment would be your sketch is not fully defined, the blue lines should be black.

the origin sits here (circled in red above) all by itself. You could either move the sketch so one of the corners is at the same location as the 0,0 or add some dimensions to locate your sketch to the top left corner.

adding 2 dim's circled in red fully define the sketch (circled in red above) the sketch cannot be selected and dragged to another position.