2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 2:09 AM by Mark Keown

should I set my goals to be used for convergence control?

Tom Quinn

I am using solidworks flow simulation for internal flow for a final year project on formula student air intake design, should I set my goals to be used for convergence control?

I get different results visually when I uncheck use for convergence control and I am lost to which is the right one to use

• Re: should I set my goals to be used for convergence control?
          Amit Katz

I guess that depends on whether you want a converged solution or not. Although I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where you would not want a converged solution.

• Re: should I set my goals to be used for convergence control?
            Mark Keown

Exactly what goals to use in not totally clear.

For for the simulations that I run I allways include:

GG Temp of fluid

GG Av Velocity

GG Av Static Pressure

GG Max Temp Solid

GG Avg Total Pressure

and other goals as applicable.  For example if you are concerned about radiation then include retaliation goals.

How do you know if you have enough goals?  The short answer is if you add more you get the same result as before - you probably have the goals covered.  Same logic applies for the amount of mesh to use.

IF solve time is taking ages then in Calculation Control adjust the goals criteria to a percentage - say 5%.  Get all the bugs out at 5% then reduce the percentage for final runs.  If (for example) there is little difference between 5% and 3% then, 3% would be sufficient.

Example:

For non-transient solutions you would not have Physical time ticked.

Refer to the Flow Simulation Online Tutorial for more detail.