11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 6:00 PM by Ron Bates

how to layer materials

Thomas Loeff

I understand that layering materials can be quite effective.  I'm not sure how this is done.  For instance, if you wanted a high gloss finish on a wood material, would you actually create geometry in solidworks as a separate surface on top of the wood and apply for instance, a clear coat material to that?  Or can you actually build up layers of materials on a single surface?  I tried to do that, but one material just over-rode the other.

Thanks,

TL

• Re: how to layer materials
          John Stoltzfus

Not sure why you would want to layer materials but - yes you can..  You need to edit the material appearance and change the transparency, for a true picture the transparency needs to be less the further down you go..

Brian Hillner

Hi Thomas,

You can stack up to 4 Appearances on top of each other using the 'Multi-Layer' Appearance Type. This is especially helpful when wanting to put a layer of clearcoat over your existing appearance (wood, pain, carbon fiber, etc).

Create a new Appearance and select 'Multi-Layer' from the dropdown. You can then click the little '+' to add appearances. Just make sure to add them from bottom up, meaning add the base material first, then add the top one.

Go to the 'Automotive' category of the Appearances on the Cloud Library. Drag that into your scene and then you can see how it's done.

Ron Bates

I don't think the answer to the original question lies in requiring or needing to use the multi-layer appearance type.  In fact I wouldn't do that at all.  Although, yes you can do that...  But I suspect it's overkill in this case.

You can add plenty of gloss (high gloss or semi-gloss) as a reflection and roughness on many material types.  If you really felt that "clearcoat" control was the answer, then you just need to switch the material type to Paint, and keep the diffuse/color texture in place...

The 3 rightmost are the default walnut appearance that ship with Visualize.  They apply as "plastic" material type, with the texture set to the walnut. Just adjust the roughness values to achieve more or less "gloss"...

The leftmost is Paint with the same texture as others...clearcoat and clearcoat rougness values added set to suit a "semi gloss" look.

woods1.png