3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 6:30 AM by Martin Luth

Pull out analysis in Solidworks ?

Hani Rousta

Hello

I have a fibre cement panel with 4 aluminium custom design hooks which are cast inside the panel .

I need to see what will happen when I pull out the hooks .

Will it break the fibre cement panel or not ?

I created my model with assembly of hooks inside the panel ,all the faces are touching .

I had to create a custom material for fibre cement collecting information from Internet .

I do have the results but I am not sure if this is accurate .

I appreciate a expert advise

Thank you

• Re: Pull out analysis in Solidworks ?
          Ryan Dark

Hi Hani,

I took a look at your study setup and there are a few things that you may want to look at.  Foremost, in your analysis the way it is presently setup, you don't need to analyze all 4 hooks.  It would be sufficient to analyze just one of the hooks which should greatly speed up solve time.

Next, it appears you have bonded the hook inside its cavity in the concrete.  This may be realistic but if the concrete makes an imperfect bond to the hook it may be better to analyze this situation with the hook set in No Penetration to the concrete.  In this way the -Z side of the hook is allowed to lift off the corresponding concrete.  It is a more conservative estimate of your pull analysis.

Lastly, I moved the fixture away from the back of the concrete so as to not disturb the results in the immediate vicinity of the hook.  You wouldn't want the fixture to be as close to the volumes of interest.

With all that being said, you would probably also want to run convergence tests (run duplicate studies with smaller and smaller element sizes) to see if your results have reached the solution for your boundary.  Once you have done that, you will be able to say whether the concrete or the hook is failing (or not).

I've attached a modified file set with the setup in it as I described above.

• Re: Pull out analysis in Solidworks ?
            Martin Luth

In spite of the apparently unrealistic character of the single filament pull-out test when compared to the complexity of the composite material, much information can be derived that has to do with the most fundamental aspects of the fibre/matrix mechanical interaction. A detailed analysis of the test is presented, which shows that interpretations of pull-out tests are still open to discussion. Examples of applications are given for various systems, from which it is emphasized that there is a need for more standardized procedures if comparisons are to be made. Finally, there are some indications that the pull-out test can provide other testing methods with effective input parameters. Check for essay writing service