8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2017 12:28 PM by Mukesh Prasad

Save Scene in Visualize

Mukesh Prasad

I have a scene in my project which I like and I would like to use this scene in different projects. My question is when I save the scene will it save all lighting, background color and everything else in the environment so I can get the same effect in the other project?

• Re: Save Scene in Visualize
          Brian Hillner

Hi Mukesh,

The best way to achieve your end result is to set up your entire scene in Visualize...geometry, materials, textures, lighting (HDR) and cameras. Then as soon as you are all set, delete your model and save this as a new Visualize project. Then you can open this Visualize project, pop in your new model and start rendering immediately. All materials, lighting and cameras will be saved in that single Visualize project file.

Here is a good example, from a watch designer. They only design watches and small objects like that, so they set up a complete project in Visualize, and then deleted the watch model from it. Now they use this as their default Visualize project for every other watch. And all they have to do is import the new watch model, drag over there preset materials and then simply kick off the renders.

They built the sweep background in SOLIDWORKS and imported that over to Visualize as well. The white planes you see have an Emissive appearance on them, so they are actually like additional lights you would set up in a photo studio. It's a really fast workflow.

Breitling Barnato Watch2 9.jpg

Mukesh Prasad

Bryan, Thanks for your input.

Couple of questions - Not in front of my computer hat has visualize so I can't try your suggestions at this time.

1) How do I just delete just the model and leave everything else in Visualize? Is there an option to delete model?

2) The 2 white planes were also created in SW and imported over during the initial setup or these are done in Visualize?

3) Is the "C" channel the background? When you do the render in this case, does the planes and the "C" channel show up in the finish rendered image?

Ron Bates

Hi Mukesh,

• Simply Delete the geometry in your project.  Go to the Model tab, select all geometry, and hit the delete key.  You'll be left with just your environment, background, cameras, etc. 
              • Save this as a Visualize project. 
              • Next time you want to use the same setup, just open this project, then import your geometry into it.
                  Mukesh Prasad

OK, I saved the project as a template then delete all the geometry and re-save the project. I then import the new model into the template project and it's not working out as expected.

1) the camera position changed although its locked in the template project. The model does not come in the same position as when it was saved in the file that I created the template. I have to unlock the camera and re position the camera every time I import a new model.

2) After I import the new model I have to go to each appearance and change the Highlight color so the appearance of the surface looks the same. See the link below where Brian suggested I change the highlight color. How can I do this one time and save the template so I don't have to do it over and over on every project.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/200837

Also how do I get the light to shine the same on those 3 surfaces. The 3 surfaces should be same color but the right side surface should be darker. When viewed prior to render the are what I expect but after render it looks like the image below

image.png

Ron Bates

Regarding 1)

Can you provide 2 screenshots showing what you mean re: the camera moving?  Are you importing completely different type/size of geometry??

Regarding 2)

A template won't impact how appearances are imported.  Are you importing SW geometry?  What appearances are you using in SW?

Mukesh Prasad

I am importing SW geometry with different configurations. I applied all material and appearances in SW prior to importing in Visualize.

Yes, the geometry are different sizes but same type. In some configurations, some parts are visible and some are not making the geometry overall size different.

Ron Bates

My guess is that your camera is not moving...it's just that if your geometry is a different size, it will be framed differently by the same camera.  This might appear as the camera moving but it's not the case.  Look at your camera properties before and after import...are the values actually changing???

What appearances are you using in SW?  The need to adjust the highlight color will depend on how the appearance was translated from SW...which will depend on what appearances were used in SW.

As for your additional lighting question...you can add additional light with an emissive appearance, or as Brian already suggested, use a different HDR, or just try rotating the HDR you currently have.  What you are seeing as a result in Visualize is "physically accurate".  That model, with those materials, in that lighting environment, would look that way.  More light is hitting the top and front surfaces...so they are brighter.  Less light is hitting the angled surface, so it is darker.

As Brian mentioned in other post, have you gone through the existing tutorials? (SOLIDWORKS Visualize | MySolidWorks Training )

Mukesh Prasad

Thanks for your input Ron,

No, my camera is not moving because it's locked in the Template file prior to importing the model. I think I got it why the image comes in different position - It is probably because of geometry size.

As for the appearance in SW, we created custom appearance that are unique to our company colors. Take the black appearance in the image below. I always have to change the highlight color below the curve.

Visualize.png

Here are the RGB values for the black appearance. It is applied to the face only and not the whole part.

Black.jpg