18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2017 11:57 AM by Rick McDonald

SW 2014 Student Edition still available ?

F. Leatin

I'm taking a SW class at the local Community college and the class is based on SW 2014. I'm looking to buy the student edition. I need this to practice at home and do my assignments. If I get a later version then my instructor cannot open the files. Anybody have a clue where I can purchase this version ? And I'm using a Think pad P50 with win 7/10 pro if this is relivent ?

• Re: SW 2014 Student Edition still available ?
          Glenn Schroeder

Why is your community college using SW2014?

Vladimir Urazhdin

The whole idea is SW Educational is to teach students with the latest SW version.

You can buy 2016/2017 Student edition only and have PC w/Win 64.

F. Leatin

So true, but this is what the local Community College is selling. I don't know why the outdated version. But since I have the desire to learn SW, this is a start for me. I'll grow from it. It would make it easier for me if they where offering instruction in the lastest version of SW. I'd have no problem finding it.

If anybody would like to contact my CC it's : El Camino CC in Torrance Calif.

Rick McDonald

You need to talk with your teacher and the college administrator.

This is not correct.

As you can see from all the posts above - you are not supposed to be using this older version software and if you are paying for training it should be up to date - not 5 years old.

If I was asked to pay for this I would say that this is UNACCEPTABLE for a college to be asking for you to do this.

Rick McDonald

I have not used the educational (student) version but from what I have read, I think it is also only valid for 1 year from the date of install, so if the teacher is using 2014 then it must be a commercial version, not educational version.

A community college should be upgrading their teachers for the current year - otherwise the students can not get the older version or the teacher can not read the files.

Doesn't make sense to me - I suggest you check with the college and / or teacher to be sure.

Dave Bear

Frank,

Don't convert your Thinkpad back to Win7 Pro (as you were thinking in other post) until you can work out exactly what the story is with this Educational version..............

Leave it at Win10 Pro for the time being just in case.

Dave.

F. Leatin

I'm with you Dave. I'm not changing anything until I figure out what version of SW I'll be using. I'm told from one vendor they'll be shipping me 14-15v on Friday. This v only runs on 7. If I go with 15-16v I'm told this will run on win10pro, but I won't be able to turn in my assignments to the instructor for him to check. I'm thinking it may be easier to go with 1516 then try to change over to 7.

What is  your knowledge Dave of 14, 15, 16, 17, versions ? I mean any big differents in the lower end operations ? Did SW change much ?

Dave Bear

Hi Frank,

To be honest with you I have only ever used SW2016 which I'm very happy with. You need to understand that I use SolidWorks purely as a hobby interest only and not in any professional capacity whatsoever. With that being said, many of the other gents that have commented here are long-time users of the product and have experienced it through many versions and they use it in their daily work lives so I will defer to them to comment on that if you don't mind. I don't think (but not sure) that the educational versions would have changed that much however as I am assuming that they would be based on the basic/intermediate CAD capabilities and functions of SolidWorks.

Glenn, Vladimir, Deepak & Rick however are definitely more qualified to comment on this than I and hopefully they might have more to add.

Dave.

Deepak Gupta

I would suggest to wait for some time (until April) and SW2017-18 version would be released. SW2017-2018 student version is based on the SOLIDWORKS 2017 commercial version. So if I were to opt, I would go with latest version.

And if you can not wait then go with SW2016-17

Rick McDonald

As has been mentioned in this post and the other post you have running that is related to this one,

Do not switch to Windows 7 from Windows 10 - you are just asking for problems if you do.(only do that as last resort).

If your instructor and college are forcing you to use the older version of SWX then you can run that in "compatibility mode".  This will run the Solidworks software as if you are running Windows 7.

I still don't understand why the college and instructor are not up to date on the software.

Since the College is not selling (or supplying) you the student version then it should not matter to them.

However, because they are forcing you to use the older version, they SHOULD supply it to you - not make you search for it yourself - especially if you have to pay extra for it.- They should do it for you and sell it in their book store like all colleges I have ever been to.

It sounds like your teacher is still on 2014 commercial license and is making the students conform to his / her version.

As a teacher, the college should pay for his subscription or supply him with the student version.  You are already paying for the course, you should not have to pay extra because he/she is not compatible with the latest teaching tools.

It makes not sense to me - just my two cents

Dave Bear

Hi Rick,

As I've mentioned, I know nothing about how the educational versions work but I agree that it doesn't make sense that a college would educate students with old technology. I know that within Australia, University's and College's are measured on getting their students to the forefront of industry standards...............

Dave.

Rick McDonald

I don't know these days in what year a student would typically have the SWX training - but I would imagine it would be the first year.  That would mean that if a student (today) was taking the SWX training, then it would be another year and a half before they would hit the work force.  If they are already using 2 year old software, that means they will be 3 to 4 years behind on the SWX version by the time they are looking for work.  When they get a job and sit in front of the computer they will not know all the new features (or even icons / icon colors).

Technology is moving too fast today for someone to be spending their money on semi-obsolete training - They should be getting state of the art training and be keeping up with the changes as they go through college and the Job hunting process if they have any hope of competing in today's jobs. 

This just isn't right for a college or tech school to train on old software.  The only reason I can see for this is the teacher / college isn't willing to invest some of the money to upgrade the teachers version and have a teacher that is current on the latest version.

To be a "teacher" - that person should be, at minimum, getting the Early Visibility versions of the latest software and learning it - and teach to that.  The student is paying for it !