17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 5:31 PM by Todd Puckett

2009 and SQLServer

Jason Ebersole
      Does PDME2009 still come packaged with SQLServer? If so, what version of SQLServer? Thanks,
        • 2009 and SQLServer
          Joy Garon
          Hi Jason -

Yes it does. It currently ships with SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition.
          In 2009, support of SQL Server 2008 was added and my guess is that we will start shipping it at some point in the future.

Joy
            • 2009 and SQLServer
              Jason Ebersole
              Other questions about SW PDME and SQLServer:

Is it difficult to install SW PDME on an existing SQLServer? Is this not recommended? Not supported?

Thanks,
                • 2009 and SQLServer
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Jason -

It can be done (create an new instance), however, is not recommended.
                  You don't want to find yourself in a situation where the 'other' applications needs conflict with EPDM's needs and vice versa. It is best to run on it's own server with it's own database.

Joy
                    • 2009 and SQLServer
                      Jason Ebersole
                      I suppose I expected that response! ;-)
                      In the real world though, I don't see how most companies could justify multiple server hardware and multiple SQLServer licensing to run each application database seperately.

In my environment, that would be at least five (with PDM) if they all made the same recommendation and I followed it:

ERP system
                      Sharepoint Services
                      Helpdesk system
                      Crystal Web Reporting
                      PDM

Not practical or affordable. You say it's not recommended, but would SW be less likely to follow through on a support issue if a customer was running other DBs on the same server as SWPDME?

Thanks, Jason
                • 2009 and SQLServer
                  Mike Adam
                  I agree with Joy
                  I think the best if you Install PDMWE on its own separated SQL server.
                  SolidWorks recommends this specification for PDM Enterprise database server (SQL SERVER)
                  CPU Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
                  RAM 4GB DDR2 or DDR3 / 1066MHz
                  from my point of view I recommend 8GB DDR3/1200MHz memory for the database server
                  Because as "Joy" said SQL loves memory

good luck
                  • 2009 and SQLServer
                    Mike Adam
                    It's working very stable in the 64-bit OS
                    but I want to alert you for something very important specially for PDMWE resellers
                    SolidWorks PDM Enterprise Web Server : *Doesn't support 64-bit OS, its only compatible with 32-bit OS

Regards
                    Mike
                      • 2009 and SQLServer
                        Jason Ebersole
                        Based on the feedback here, it looks like 64bit for at least PDM server. I'm looking at a dual xeon quad core server with maybe 16GB ram / Raid1 & Raid10. I will have to run something else on this db server, so it does need to be beefy!

The archive server wil be a raid5 box, and my network backbone is Catalyst 3750s with gigabit fiber runs between them; 1GB net to the db & archive servers, 100MB to desktops.

How does that sound?

• 2009 and SQLServer
                            Todd Puckett
                            Our archive server takes very little resoures. It has never used more than 1 Gb RAM and it's not very processors intensive. The most important aspect of the archive server for us is disk space and disk access speed.

Your database server configuration looks good. Will this be a dedicated SWPDME database server or shared SQL server?
                            It might be a bit overkill if your only going to run the database server and a singe PDM SQL instance. Our PDM SQL instance uses about 4 Gb, it's the other SQL instances that each use 4 GB that pushes our server to the limit.