9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2017 10:54 AM by Siavash Khajehhasani

2014 Simulation Static Study

Richard Chow

I am performing a study on a fairly complex assembly for Simulation Static Study.  The study ran for 14+ hours, and still was running.  The assembly is a dump trailer, the top assembly, body.  I did a static study on the subframe assembly, and it took about an hour to run.  And, usually there is an error message if it runs after a while.  The error messages tend to hide behind other screens.  But, I have yet to find an error message.  My question is, what would be an average estimated time for this study to be done?  Should it take hours, or days?

Is it the mesh options that is making it take a while, too tight?  Or, is it some other options?

Thanks,

• Re: 2014 Simulation Static Study
          Lomish Kumar

if you press the key of large displacemnt than it takes a lot of time to solve it, it also depends on the configuration of your PC and the which solver you selcted?.

• Re: 2014 Simulation Static Study
            Adam McNicholls

Q) what would be an average estimated time for this study to be done?  Should it take hours, or days?

A) This really deppends on the size of the study and the size of the mesh. but in my experience things tend to take hours rather than days.

If you make the mesh very coarse does the simulation run? I expect it wont.

In which case, what you might have is one part on the model not being sufficiently bonded to the fixed part in your model. This is causing the part to fly off to infinity. Therefore, the error message poping up is probably asking you to switch to large displacment mode.

I suggest that you add in the "use soft spring to stabilise model" and the "use internal relief" options in the study properties. Then the simulation should solve. However, the results will be incorrect. All this is showing you is which parts of the model are not fully contacted / connected.

Fix these contacts, and then remove the "use soft spring to stabilise model" and the "use internal relief" options again, before re-running the study.