1 2 3 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 3:43 PM by Mark Kaiser

Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009

Paul McGarr
      Ok, before I get slammed for this, I want to say that its normal for me to install an OS in beta stage as I am a geek at heart. I don't expect Windows 7 to be a production ready OS, but nevertheless I am dual booting it in pre beta glory...at home of course. There's my disclaimer.
        • 1. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
          Anna Wood
          And I thought I was living on the edge with my Core i7 build.... :-) No disclaimers needed, we understand.

Glad to hear someone has taken the plunge. Will be monitoring this thread to see how you and hopefully others are fairing.

Cheers,
          • 2. Re: Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
            Neil Larsen
            I have been using 32 bit XP for years and have a new box with it - does me fine- but I am considering windows 7 as the OS version/upgrade to make the migration.. esp to 64 bit and an i7 with 6gb ram..

I'd like to hear anything you have to say about 7 and particularly from a SW viewpoint
            • 3. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
              Don Vanzile

I've had windows 7 as a dual boot as well just to play with it. Although I didn't think to install Solidworks on it yet. I wouldn't expect any problems though becuase it's supposed to be same engine running, but just more streamlined. And so far... windows 7 does seem much more responsive than my Vista x64 installation.

Don
              • 4. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                Adrian Velazquez
                Interesting!

It's around that time for me to look for a new Home System. For that purpose (recreational and professional use of graphic design apps) I was definitely leaning towards a MAC and sacrificing heavy SolidWorks usage at home, but I might hold that thought for a while.

All this Core i7, Windows 7 talk for some reason just seems to click somewhere in the back of my head. I'm definitely subscribing to this topic.

Any estimate on the release of Windows 7 and Core i7, let's say of a DELL Workstation?
                • 5. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                  Don Vanzile

I've heard Win7 isn't supposed to be officially released until early 2010. But I suspect ms is going to try and see if they can deliver it in late 2009. And by that time, the i7 core will have had a die shrink and be even faster and more power efficient. Also, the superspeed USB 3 (which is 10x faster than USB 2) standard should start be incorperated in systems in late 2009 as well.

Bottom line, if your strapped for cash, I'd wait till late 2009/early 2010 to buy a new system. You'll have all sorts of new technology to sink your teeth into!

Don
                  • 6. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                    Adrian Velazquez
                    Don,

Thanks for that input, sounds promising. I guess I can spend another year without a new toy.
                    • 7. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                      Charles Culp
                      Adrian,

Apple should be releasing the i7 chipset for their iMacs in January, if the rumors are correct. Save all your box tops, UPCs, and golden tokens; I can only imagine the sticker price.
                      • 8. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                        Don Vanzile

Also I which I forgot to mention, i7's utilize DDR3 memory, which is significantly faster than DDR2 but more costly. This and the cost of SSD's (Solid state drives) should all be much cheaper another year from now.

Come to think of it... nvidia should have their next gen. video cards out by then as well. The systems a year from now are going to be beasts!

Don
                        • 9. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                          Paul McGarr
                          No matter when you buy, something better is right around the corner. That being said, 2010 is going to be a nice year for computer technology. DDR3 will have settled down in price, the i7 will have settled in, Windows 7 will be out, etc. Lot's of things to look forward to.

Windows 7 will be a nice transition for current Vista users. The core OS is the same, so no driver worries, etc. If your system is running Vista now, it'll run Windows 7 without a hitch. I've had a couple Vista drivers refuse to install on Win7, but it wasn't becasue they were truly incompatible, but simply reject the OS version becasue its "unknown" I only needed to install one driver on my system after Windows 7 installed. It was a chipset driver. ATI has a beta Windows 7 driver by the way.
                          • 10. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009

Paul McGarr wrote:

No matter when you buy, something better is right around the corner. That being said, 2010 is going to be a nice year for computer technology. DDR3 will have settled down in price, the i7 will have settles in, Windows 7 will be out, etc. Lot's of things to look forward to.

In 2010 we'll all be talking about the next toc coming from Intel.
                            • 11. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                              Gary Liptrot
                              I heard MS have yet to get round to adding USB3 compatibility to Win7. As has already been stated though Win7 is still in very early form and USB3 may be included by the time the OS is commercially available, else demand will definitely see it introduced somewhere down the line.
                              • 12. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                                emory krall
                                I installed Windows 7 (64 bit) in a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion on my Mac Pro tower. I had the same results as Paul. No problems installing Solidworks, but clicking open, save or save as crashes the program.

Interestingly, PhotoView 360 does not have the same problem.
                                • 13. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                                  Tom Nicholson
                                  Can you run SW in a compatibility mode? or install under that? I haven't played with win7 yet so sorry I can't offer anything of real value..
                                  • 14. Windows 7 and SolidWorks 2009
                                    Paul McGarr
                                    Funny thing...I have now been running Windows 7 for a couple months, and the only software I have been unable to run is SolidWorks. Somehow I am not surprised.

All in all, Windows 7 is a treat.

Another thing I noticed that might make some SolidWorks users happy is that Windows Desktop Search will now index network locations. Yay!
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next