4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 2:01 PM by Henk Bruijn De

Benchmark returning poor results on what should be a good computer

Jordan Juengel

I have run a benchmark on Solidworks, and the results are almost ten times worse than my colleagues, despite the fact that I have a computer with objectively better hardware.  Why is this?

Our Solidworks settings are identical

Hardware:

Windows 10 Pro

I7-6850

64GB ddr4 RAM

AMD Firepro W7100, with Solidworks approved drivers

1TB PCIE SSD

My Coworkers are using

Windows 7 Pro

I7 3770

24 GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Firepro W7100, wihth solidworks approved drivers

240GB SSD

500GB PCIE SSD, where solidworks is installed

• Re: Benchmark returning poor results on what should be a good computer
          Dennis Dohogne

What version of SolidWorks are you running?  There have been issues with inherited settings in 2017 that cause terrible performance (speed) problems.  The same settings on different machines might have no slowing effect at all.  These same inherited settings did not cause this slow down on previous versions for anybody.  It is a new feature in 2017!

Jordan Juengel

Running Solidworks 2016 SP05

The settings are inherited, yes, but the two computers are running the same setup, so I am skeptical that this is the case.  Good to know for when we upgrade to 2017, though!  I'll have to keep that in mind.

We've tested on another computer with Windows 10, I7-6800, cheaper Quadro video card, results were more in line with the older computer

Graphics:5.3 sec

Processor: 26.9 Sec

I/O 15.2 sec

Rendering 28.9 Sec

RealView 3.9 Sec

So I don't think it is Windows 10, and it doesn't seem to the Solidworks version or settings (they were all installed from the same file) and the video card works fine on other computers.

Henk Bruijn De

The Performance benchmark does not always produce results as expected.

I have tested it on an Acer tablet with much less powerful processor and graphics card as commonly used.

See my post with results.

Just because it's possible.

The Acer tablet does not perform so bad, compared to desktop systems which are ~50 times larger in volume an weight, and the tablet is also much cheaper.than a desktop.

The only reasons I can think of are:

- just after startup the processor is also busy with cheking for updates, checking for email , checking for viruses, system integrity and so on

Repeat the benchmark test approx 20 minutes after a reset.

- the graphics settings such as resolution might influence the graphics performance

I have not checked it, but I think that a very powerful system performs better in the benchmark when the graphics and screen settings are changed for a lower resolution.

Repeat the test with lower graphics settings.

Jordan Juengel

I've also run the benchmark on this computer with Solidworks Default settings, no appreciable difference