AnsweredAssumed Answered

Negative Space/Holes from part w/o Smart Feature

Question asked by Zac Aj on Feb 13, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 by Zac Aj

A bit new to solidworks, hopefully this makes sense...

I'm working on a project where I'm going to have 200+ parts mounted on a sheet of plywood, and wanted to use a CNC router to pre-drill all the screw holes and cut out regular holes of various shapes for the parts for easier assembly.  Although there's a lot of parts, there aren't that many different ones, and most would probably have 5+ separate cuts/screws necessary.  What I was hoping to do was to model each part, including some 'negative space', so that when I added and positioned the part on the board in the assembly, it would automatically leave those cuts in the wood, but I don't see any obvious way to do this.  After a lot of searching I came across Smart Features, which seem to be trying to solve vaguely the problem I have, but they're very cumbersome.  It seems that, for every one of the parts, I'd have to repeatedly insert them into the assembly, mate and position them, then select 'Insert Smart Feature', and then select the same set of faces on my board so it knows how to insert the holes from that part, even though this information isn't changing at all from part to part, and it generally seems overpowered for the simple needs I have.

Outcomes