3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 9:32 AM by Prasad Bhonsule

EPDM serial number letters

Ben Findlay

is there a way to use sequential letters in stead of numbers for part numbers in the serial numbers.

• Re: EPDM serial number letters
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Ben, the serial number can be from a list, so you could type in a list of sequential letters. I'm curious though, what do your part numbers look like if you need to use sequential letters rather than numbers?

Kind regards

Prasad

Ben Findlay

Hi Prasad

yeah i saw that i would be possible to use a list but i just wondered if it was possible to do it automatically.  I suppose that the list would be the best way anyway as the project I'm working on need item numbers to have a fixed 4 digit prefix (of numbers i.e. 1234) then use a range of letters (1234ABC).  The letters have a sequence to them but miss out I and O (could be confused with one and zero), and they have split in to assy numbers beginning with an A (i.e 1234AB) and part numbers going from 1234B to 1234Z and then 1234BA to 1234BZ.  confused? i am.

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Ben, yes that does look confusing! I think out of the box, the list option is probably the best way to go. However, if you are going to have projects and parts which need to follow some sort of intelligent numbering system, then you may want look at having a addin developed to handle complex numbering.

Thanks

Prasad