18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 9:57 AM by Lee Henderson

Mate segments of a disk

Lee Henderson

Hello there, some help please. I'm trying to mate these individual sections to create a whole disk (with a 10mm gap between). I cant seem to get the mates to work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Lee

• Re: Mate segments of a disk
          Rob Edwards

Hi Lee

It looked like you needed to add some sort of concentric or coincident mate but this over defined the assembly. 

I removed your distance mate and made those two faces parallel and the distance was indeed 10mm.  I couldn't tell if your 2 parts were identical, but a circular pattern also seemed to show promise (no mates at all)

The distance mate worked when applied to two vertices,

This sort of thing confuses me, I don't know why it's so strict

John Pesaturo

Just like John had mentioned, we do the same thing here for gap alignments ... Simply create a sketch to be used at assembly within the part model itself. We even call our sketch out as a "Gap Alignment" sketch and specify the gap distance we expect to keep the design intent clear.

John Stoltzfus

That's right you don't need to save the sketch as a part, it's just that in my workflow I use Sketch Parts all the time and would use it as I mentioned, but your way would work just as well.

John Pesaturo

Agreed, and to Robs' point I have to admit it's both impressive and frustrating that there really are so many ways to get where we need to be with this software and everyone's individual take on it will most definitely have its benefits and drawbacks alike. If nothing else, I usually learn a different approach to how I would have handled things in the past almost daily. The old adage of "It's the way it's always been done" simply doesn't work with this software, and I like it that way ...

John Stoltzfus

Couldn't have said it better....

This post is a great example of the different ways you can get to the same point at the end of the day, it can also be a huge opportunity to learn new ways, better or worse..  The biggest challenge we're all faced with is "How the company Policies effect what we do", how the shop likes to see the drawings, how management thinks the shop should see the drawings and we need to be the middle man..

Also what does our workflow require, here I get to do "New" designs and the expectation that they have here is multiple changes, and multiple pack & go's so they can see the Chair or Bed side by side, these assemblies must be setup so I can modify it quickly, as simple as opening the Assembly file, clicking on a sketch in my Sketch part, changing the dimension and hitting ok and everything moves to the new size.  Or, delete that part and put in another completely different part that is shaped totally different, therefore I need to be sure that when I do delete that part, my feature tree stays intact and maybe a few mating errors from faces that were deleted.  There are many times I could do the design a portion of the time, but then it wouldn't be as parametric and easy to change.

So the next guy is faced with different challenges

Steven Smith

I'd have made 1 segment then used an array.

Create the overall sketch of the entire assy layout.

create your single segment.

Array around a single axis point.

Job done.

Bernie Daraz

I'm not sure you have an answer yet or have decided on a practice but if it was me I would create a new assembly file with an Axis suitable for your needs, I might use the Front and Right planes for that, Insert Reference Geometry, you might see the Axis then in the preview. Then I would insert your first part and Mate it to the Axis. You might have to Float that part first to do that. Then just use a circular pattern to add the others using the Axis you created as the center point. I did not open your file.

Steven Smith

I put a post on here from my work account.

Seeing however as my comments are moderated I though I'd log in with my old account I've had since Day Dot!

(Couldnt move my old account over when I moved jobs.)

Id have created the initial sketch layout of the overall assembly and then created a single part using a segment of the sketch.

I'd have then array'd the single piece around the center-point of the initial sketch which would have an axis.

Job Done.

Lee Henderson

Wow lots of amazing comments, and helpful ideas. Great to get an insight into how you folks all work. All these suggestions will keep me busy for a while!

Thanks everyone.