8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 10:08 AM by Tim Webb

EPDM Notifications Emails Problem

Gabriel Bueno

Don't know if anyone had this same problem setting PDM notifications, after I setup a notification at the workflow, I keep receiving e-mails for transitions I already made before setting up and I'm still receiving them till now. 44k E-mails since yesterday.

I Know I've done something I should not do. But what can I do to stop the notifications?

• Re: EPDM Notifications Emails Problem
          Stephen Lapic

The only way that I know you can get multiple notifications would be through a delayed state notification where you state how long it can be delayed and then send repeat notifications every X number of days.  If that was selected with zero number of days between notifications then maybe what your experiencing could happen.  But this is only for a delayed state notification and you didn't state what kind of notification you have.

Prasad Bhonsule

I've seen this issue before as Stephen says with Delayed in State notifications.

If the notifications are still sending even after you remove the delayed in state notifications from the workflow, there is a folder located on the computer where the PDM database server is installed called Mailcache which needs to be removed. See the solution below from the Knowledge Base (S-069795)

Using SOLIDWORKS® Enterprise PDM, what could cause the database server service to repeatedly send SMTP notifications to same user or e-mail even if there are no pending notifications?

The SOLIDWORKS® Enterprise PDM database server service will periodically poll the file vault database and generate notifications. If the message system is configured for SMTP, the service will generate the notification message and create a file temporary file containing the SMTP content. This file is placed in a 'mailcache' queue folder on the database server system and then that file will be sent as an e-mail to the specified SMTP server. If successfully delivered, the temporary file will be deleted from the 'mailcache' folder.

If the SMTP server address is incorrectly set up, or if there is a problem with the recipient e-mail address, it is possible that the notifications can become stuck in the SMTP message queue folder. This could lead to the Windows application log showing repeated send failures to a particular e-mail recipient or in some cases cause the same e-mail to be repeatedly sent.

To correct this, do as follows:

1. Stop the “SOLIDWORKS Enterprise PDM Database Server” Service.

2. Browse to the following ‘MailCache’ folder on the system where the database server service is installed (the folder may be under a different path depending on operating system):

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\SolidWorks\SolidWorks Enterprise PDM\MailCache

3. The folder likely contains various tmp files (these are the failed SMTP messages that the service is trying to deliver). Move those files out of the folder.

4. Check that there are no entries under the following registry key. If there are, export the key and delete the key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Solidworks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\MailCache

5. Check the ‘Users’ table in each vault database and verify that all e-mail addresses in the 'Email' column shows valid entries. If you see e-mails linked to users that have the 'Enabled' column set to 0 (or False), clear those e-mail entries as these are deleted users that could still be included in notifications (for more details, refer to KB solution S-036225).

6. Start the “SOLIDWORKS Enterprise PDM Database Server” service.

7. Open the message system settings in the administration tool for each file vault and verify that the SMTP server values are correct.

8. The repeated or invalid e-mails should stop sending.

View the Windows application log on the system running the SOLIDWORKS Enterprise PDM database server service for any further errors related to SMTP notification delivery.

Hope this helps

Prasad

Faur Arama

Search also for S-064554 in KB.