29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 8:48 AM by Danny Bradford

Text styles on format reload

Danny Bradford

Greetings all,

We have created several Text Styles in our format but they do not seem to import into a Drawing when the Format is reloaded. Am I missing something? This would be quite a disappointment if we cannot import those text files with the Format.

Assuming this is not possible what are my options to import these text Styles?

Thanks to all for your time,

Danny B

• Re: Text styles on format reload
          John Stoltzfus

Did you load the New Font's in to your Windows Font Folder??

Danny Bradford

These are not new fonts, but new styles. We still utilize the normal fonts. In the image below we created a Style called DRAWING_TITLE.

S. Casale

Perhaps save them into your templates.

Sheet formats differ from drawing templates. So they ought to be saved separately.

Check your options for drawing templates as well.

John Stoltzfus

Any change in the drawings or workflow I try to always do the following even if it don't apply, that way it doesn't matter what changes I make they don't get lost in the shuffle, some changes to the drawing or drafting practices might not apply to certain documents or templates, but I still re-save them...

1.  Save out your "Drafting Standards"  Tool/Options/Document Properties

2.  Save the Drawing Template (if I made changes to the Template)

3.  Save the Sheet Format (if I made changes to the Template)

4.  Save the Part and or the Assembly Template (if applicable)

5.  Open the Copy Settings Wizard and save out any setting changes...

If you do the above your font setting should stay

Danny Bradford

Thanks Johns and Scott for your feedback. I have looked into all of the above and nothing I do will convince the reloaded format to have Styles assigned. I have tried to pre-load the styles into the format but still the reload function always has Style = NONE for all text.

So to keep things simple the problem statement is: I cannot get the format reload function to keep text styles. The Style is available in the template and it is loaded in the drawing. Yet the text coming in from the format reload still has Style = NONE.

Glenn Schroeder

I don't know if you can have a Template set to have a certain Style active.  When you click on the drop-down beside <NONE> is your saved Style note there?

Danny Bradford

Yes everything is there. Everything works great when I set up a Drawing Template with Styles and utilize File -> New the issue is only on Format Reload which is why this is frustrating because I am sooo close to having everything set up. This is the last step.

Glenn Schroeder

By "Format Reload", I assume you mean when you re-load a sheet format?  If yes, sheet formats don't have anything to do with Note Styles.  #2 at Frequently Asked Forum Questions might be of some help to you, but if that's all stuff you already know then I apologize in advance.

Danny Bradford

You stated "sheet formats don't have anything to do with Note Styles." How is this true when a sheet format reload brings the text in question into the drawing?

BTW yes I understand the difference between a template used in File -> New and the formats utilized in Properties -> reload format (slddrt vs drwdot) , but there is nothing wrong with a refresher. 

Within sheet formats stored for the reloading of formats, there is text being brought in, right? If we can agree with that then why can that text not be loaded with a style? Therein lies my problem.

S. Casale

I have an idea. I have a had a template load issue before that I resolved.

When opening the properties (window)of a sheet, Check to see that the sheet formats for selection are in the same location as the browse button right next to the sheets for selection.

Glenn Schroeder

Have you tried saving the drafting standard and reloading that instead of the sheet format?

Danny Bradford

Hey Glen,

Well the issue with the reload is not that I want to reload the format (or standard, or anything). The issue is that we use the reload Format function within the properties as a matter of a normal task any time something goes wrong with the format. This is something that occurs 5 - 15 times during the life of a Drawing especially on revisions.

Therefore my task is to ensure the text retains the style when someone inevitably runs a Properties -> reload which is not happening currently.

Also, considering the Style is applied to specific text I do not believe the Drafting Standard, which is a general standard for the drawing and is not tied to a specific instance of text, has any bearing on the situation. Although I could be completely missing something so please let me know if I am.

Thanks for the feedback.

S. Casale

Oh this is interesting. So you don't go into the options dialog and control it from there for the templates?

All the items even in the title block are just notes and the template font controls that for the most part. seems like extra work to control the text formatting in any other way - except when a specific custom note should have a style desired....

Danny Bradford

In fact this not for any formatting we are looking for. We are looking to assign a label (ie a tag) to each text item in the format. The Drawing Number is assigned the Style "DRAWING_NUMBER" etc. With this in place we can run a macro to ensure the Drawing Number = Drawing Number if you catch my meaning. We can eliminate all kinds of errors by automating the check of all drawing format data. Styles is the only function we could leverage to assign this tag. Again, everything is set up and ready to go, even the macro, until I realized that reloading the format removed all Styles. UGH.

Danny Bradford

Just to clarify, My Style is in that pulldown list not because the format reload through properties brought it. It is there because I Pre-Loaded the Styles. I have not gotten the reload format function to bring in any Styles which leads me to believe this will not work.

It just blows my mind that this is set up like this. We reload formats many times in the life of a drawing and to say that functions cannot be carried over within a reload is equal to saying "Hey we created the functions in Solidworks but you cannot use them." That is just the freakiest thing.

John Stoltzfus

Danny Bradford did you apply the styles to a certain layer? 

Danny Bradford

Could someone take a couple of minutes on their side and execute the following steps to see if the Text Style is retained in the end?

1.  File -> New -> Drawing

2.  On Sheet one Edit the sheet format

3. Choose any text or create new text.

4. Apply a Style to the text. (feel free to set up 2 or 3, go wild!  )

5.  Exit the edit sheet format.

6.  Save the drawing to your desktop.

7.  Save the sheet format by going to the File Pulldown and choosing "Save Sheet Format". (Desktop as well is fine of course.)

8. Close everything including Solidworks (Just to be safe)

9.  Open the drawing and check that the text still has the Style assigned.

10.  Exit the Edit Sheet Format (it will not reload while you are in editing)

11. Right click on the sheet in the tree and go to Properties. Browse to your desktop and choose the saved format.

After hitting OK check to see if the text still has the Style or has it reset to NONE?

Danny Bradford

So after all of this I thought I would place one final reply for future reference. Unfortunately when reloading the format from sheet properties any Styles applied are removed from all text imported from the reload.

If any have found something different in the form of an answer I will gladly switch the correct answer from this one to yours.