5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2017 6:40 PM by Taylor Cox

Masking

Taylor Cox

I'm getting some aluminum boxes made, i am going to have them powdercoated.   Because they will have electrical connection to the box for grounding, I want to mask areas so the chassis remains bare.  What is the best way to show this in my Solidworks project?  On the drawing?  I think I need to just cross hatch the area but I can't figure it out.  Thanks!

• Re: Masking
          Solid Air

The right way is subjective.  I personally show as much design intent in the model as I can (one day we hope to use MBD and not make a drawing).

Taylor Cox

There is a way to do it in the model?

Deepak Gupta

Yes, create a split surface/face in the model and change the color of that.

In the drawing, create a sketch and add the hatch. Better include the note and dimensions of the area.

Solid Air

In addition to Deepak's suggestion,  create a sketch in the model of the areas you do not want  painted (rename the sketch to something like unpainted areas.  In the drawing, convert entities of the sketch and apply the hatch.  The reason I suggest this method is because it is less features in model.  Splitting a surface/face adds more display overhead to your graphics card so if you do not need to show the unpainted areas in the model, I recommend this method.  You can also create display states in your model so the sketch shows in one and is hidden in the other so it can be used in an assembly (we have sketches turned on in our assemblies because we use a component location/design sketch in many of our assemblies).

Taylor Cox

Fantastic suggestions.  I was able to do this easily by sketching the masked areas, smart dimension precisely, and then cross hatch in the drawing.  Thank you for your help.  Problem solved.