3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2017 5:45 PM by Keith Rice

Regenerate Macro Feature using SwComFeature

Brian Smith

I am trying to write a macro that does two things.

1.) A Control-Q rebuild

2.) Traverse assemblies and all sub-assemblies for nonread-only parts and rebuild any macro feature in them

I am doing this because calling a "full-full" rebuild (   swModel.ForceRebuild3(false)  ) takes a very long time for our assemblies because it is literally rebuilding every feature in every part and assembly. This "full-full" rebuild comes from: 2016 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Force Rebuild Example (VBA) and was the start of my macro.

This is currently the only way I know how to force a rebuild on lower level macro features. The macro I am trying to write now is meant to replace the control-Q rebuild and search out my macro features and will hopefully be faster than the "full-full" rebuild

I believe I am close and I think I am stuck on the last step, which is is running the SwComFeature regenerate method. 2015 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Regenerate Method (ISwComFeature)

I've already added the swPublished interface library, but when I try to call the regenerate rebuild I getting "Run-time error '91' : Object variable or with block variable not set"

I believe the problem is that I am not setting my ISWcomFeature object properly. I am still pretty green at writing macros so any help is appreciated. The line that is erroring out is bolded below.

Option Explicit

Public Enum swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e

swAutoSaveInterval = 3

End Enum

Sub RegenerateMacroFeature(Doc As SldWorks.ModelDoc2)

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swFeat As SldWorks.Feature

Dim instance As ISwComFeature

Dim temp As Object

Set swFeat = Doc.FirstFeature

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

While Not swFeat Is Nothing

If (swFeat.GetTypeName2 = "MacroFeature") Then

Set temp = instance.Regenerate(swApp, Doc, swFeat)

End If

Set swFeat = swFeat.GetNextFeature

Wend  

End Sub

Sub TraverseComponent(swComp As SldWorks.Component2, nLevel As Long)

Dim vChildComp As Variant

Dim swChildComp As SldWorks.Component2

Dim swCompConfig As SldWorks.Configuration

Dim sPadStr As String

Dim Doc As ModelDoc2

Dim i As Long

For i = 0 To nLevel - 1

sPadStr = sPadStr + "  "

Next i

vChildComp = swComp.GetChildren

For i = 0 To UBound(vChildComp)

Set swChildComp = vChildComp(i)

Set Doc = swChildComp.GetModelDoc2

If Doc.GetType() = 1 Then

If Doc.IsOpenedReadOnly() = False Then

RegenerateMacroFeature Doc

End If

End If

TraverseComponent swChildComp, nLevel + 1

Debug.Print sPadStr & swChildComp.Name2 & " <" & swChildComp.ReferencedConfiguration & ">"

Next i

End Sub

Sub main()

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swConf As SldWorks.Configuration

Dim swRootComp As SldWorks.Component2

Dim nStart As Single

Dim i As Long

Dim bRet As Boolean

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swConf = swModel.GetActiveConfiguration

Set swRootComp = swConf.GetRootComponent3(True)

'Turn off automatic save

bRet = swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swAutoSaveInterval, 0)

nStart = Timer

bRet = swModel.ForceRebuild3(True)

TraverseComponent swRootComp, 1

End Sub

• Re: Regenerate Macro Feature using SwComFeature
          Keith Rice

Hello Brian,

You want to rebuild the a macro feature, but that is not what this function does. This function contains what will happen when the macro feature gets rebuilt. More specifically, ISwComFeature is what addins must implement in order to create a macro feature. ISwComFeature.Regenerate is one of the implemented functions. That function will include the code that runs whenever the macro feature rebuilds.

If you want to rebuild a macro feature then you will have to rebuild some or all of the feature tree. You can rebuild only the portions of the feature tree that require rebuilding via IModelDoc2.EditRebuild3. You can force a rebuild of the entire tree via IModelDoc2.ForceRebuild3.

Anyway, although you won't be able to use this function in the way you want, I should note that you are getting the "object not set error" because you declared "instance" but then never assigned a value to it. The default value is Nothing. Nothing, obviously, has no method called "Regenerate", so you get an error. Moreover, if you look at the API Help page for ISwComFeature, you see that there is no Accessors list, which means that there is no way to ever assign a value to your ISwComFeature variable. (Again, it has to be implemented in a .NET addin to be used.)

I would recommend you check out this post on VBA Debugging Tips and Tricks, which describes this error (in the blog post itself toward the end) and also links to a handy PDF that you can use as a reference for when you run into an error and aren't certain of what it means or how to solve it.

Keith

SolidWorks API Training and Services

• Re: Regenerate Macro Feature using SwComFeature
              Brian Smith

Thanks Keith for the response. I see the error in the direction I was taking. But your recommendations do not work for what I am trying to do, specifically IModelDoc2.EditRebuild3 and IModelDoc2.ForceRebuild3.

EditRebuild3 doesn't see the macro feature as something that needs updating and ForceRebuild3 would rebuild every feature, which works but is extremely slow (about 20 seconds when rebuilding any common assembly we have).

I want to be be able to snipe out the macro feature and rebuild it. So I don't see a method that rebuilds a specific feature in IModelDoc2, IFeature, or IFeatureManager. Maybe I am not looking hard enough.

Alternatively I think if I edit the macro feature it would provide the same solution because when SW goes to edit a macro feature it doesn't do anything and rebuilds that macro feature. I feel like IModelDoc2.featedit accomplishes this, but I don't understand how it knows what feat it targets the edit with.