1 2 3 First Previous 576 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2018 9:49 AM by Shaodun Lin Branched to a new discussion.
      • 1. Re: ONE and TWO
        Dennis Dohogne

Rick, are you going?  You've got my proxy if you are!

==> 11/28/2017  Edit:  Rick and I were invited to talk with the developers of SolidWorks. On November 15, 2017 we spent a good long day with these guys representing the issues and passion that spawned this ONE and TWO thread.

You can find our trip reports here:

Trip Report to SW Headquarters Representing ONE and TWO - 11/15/17

A Visit with SolidWorks’ Leadership, Nov 15, 2017

End edit <==

• 2. Re: ONE and TWO
          Rick Becker

I am not going. Wish I could.

I see all the fun groups (bacon, coffee, etc.) gathering at SWW. We have another one for you.

Would someone attending like to seize the banner and run with the ONE and TWO group? (loud voice appreciated but not necessary)

Be the People Representative!

Make SolidWorks Great Again!

Please.

• 3. Re: ONE and TWO
            Rick Becker

We especially need as many Cheer Leaders as possible during this...

SOLIDWORKS Top Ten. This year we are changing the format and adding an hour-long breakout session on the SOLIDWORKS Top Ten during which you can see the results of the 2017 Top Ten, review the history of the Top Ten, get more details on quality-related improvements, hear first-hand from the R&D Development manager and participate in an interactive discussion. The session will take place in Room 153 C on Wednesday from 1:30-2:30.

• 4. Re: ONE and TWO
              Greg Hynd

Have you ever thought about the fact that 1 and 2 were both suggested by a solidworks employee?

Which means its highly likely that its already been worked and makes them look good when it gets implemented..

Correct me if i'm wrong...

• 5. Re: ONE and TWO
                Rick Becker

I copied & pasted this from Jeff Mowry (Thank you Jeff) from this thread...

Grab the Top Ten Stuff You're Interested in Before it Disappears

SWW 2017 Top 10:

1. Focus more on fixing bugs, 212, Matthew Lorono, 18576 Views
                2. Substantially increase stability in SOLIDWORKS, 150, Matthew Lorono, 480 Views
                3. Allow Zero Thickeness Geometry (ZTG),  81,Chris Clouser, 414 Views
                4. Improve the performance and quality when importing large IGES and STEP files, especially when there are tiny surfaces in the model, 80, Shaodun Lin, 1644 Views
                5. Completely release memory / GDI handle when file is unloaded, 77, Shaodun Lin, 501 Views
                6. Export BOM with Model Thumbnail included in Excel file, 69, Shaodun Lin, 1935 Views
                7. External Reference graphical display (like Treehouse), 62, John Matrishon, 225 Views
                8. Automatic Fastener BOM Creation without physically insert the fasteners into the assembly, 59, Shaodun Lin, 2626 Views
                9. Bounding Box Values for any parts and assemblies, Ferenc Gergo, 480 Views
                10. Fully integrated Sub-D modeling tool, 55, Shaodun Lin, 2178 Views
                11. Search engine in Material Library, Toolbox and Engineering Database, 48, Csaba Hetyei, 221 Views
                12. Reuse centerlines without Convert, 48, Ferenc Gergo, 162 Views
                13. please enhance healing for imported models > please add CADFIX to SWX, 45, Ulrich Hanisch, 137 Views
                14. Undo/Redo - Un-Limited/Un-Restricted, 45, Rick Becker, 742 Views
                15. It should be possible to unfold a bent tube like a sheet metal part, 41, Manuel Michel, 137 Views
                16. PDM : : I, O, Q, S, X, and Z should be excluded in Revision letter, 39, Jiun Chen, 987 Views
                17. PDM card editor: Undo button, 38, Craig Schultz, 110 Views
                18. please add system option to display breadcrumbs directly at the mouse without pressing D key, 38, Ulrich Hanisch, 146 Views
                19. SolidNetWork License Manager: license usage statistics, 33, Deepak Gupta, 174 Views
                20. [---Missing Second Page Here---]
                21. Version / Revision Cleanup and remapping tool for SWPDM, 21, Shaodun Lin, 2840 Views
                22. Improve performance and robustness of Direct Editing Tool, 21, Shaodun Lin, 736 Views
                23. The "What's Wrong" dialog box Should have Links to Each Specific Problem, 21, Rick Becker, 164 Views
                24. Ability to use end points of sketch lines for Hole Wizard holes, 21, Ferenc Gergo, 112 Views
                25. Paint and other coatings, 20, Chriss Saller, 87 Views
                26. Solidworks Error Report - Feedback, 20, Andreas Rhomberg, 159 Views
                27. Make cutlist information available to the BOM without API wizardry, 20, Jim Steinmeyer, 108 Views
                28. please make import diagnostic available also if model file was saved after first diagnostic, 20, Ulrich Hanisch, 38 Views
                29. Ability to copy Control Logic when editing data card, 20, Zoltan Svebis, 62 Views
                30. Roll Back Bar and Freeze Bar grip size, Daen Hendrickson, 61 Views
                31. Make the Top Ten Lists Still Available After SWW, 20, Dennis Dohogne, 84 Views
                32. SOLIDWORKS for Mac, 19, Ferenc Gergo, 121 Views
                33. Give the Relations Pop-up in Drawings, 19, Glenn Schroeder, 69 Views
                34. Ability to use a flexible unit system and converter in Simulation like in Flow Simulation, 19, Csaba Hetyei, 44 Views
                35. Allow backward compatibility between service packs of the same major version in Flow Simulation, 19, Julien Boissat, 35 Views
                36. Import files from Tekla Structure BIM software, 19, Dennis Dohogne, 96 Views
                37. Option to Paste Images Directly into a reply, 19, Deepak Gupta, 728 Views
                38. New SOLIDWORKS sheet metal tab and slot feature, 18, Julien Debes, 107 Views
                • 6. Re: ONE and TWO
                  Jim Steinmeyer

being a design engineer I can think of another possibility. Those in the trenches know the needs of going back and cleaning things up but they are getting pushed by their superiors to roll out flashy whiz-bang features that will grab attention and do not have the time available to do what they would like.

Notice that items 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 are also from a SW employee. It sounds to me like a cry of "See I have been telling you that the users want this!"

• 7. Re: ONE and TWO
                    Greg Hynd

Jim, could be, never thought of that angle!

• 8. Re: ONE and TWO
                      Deepak Gupta

Rick Becker wrote:

1. Option to Paste Images Directly into a reply, 19, Deepak Gupta, 728 Views

This one is not related to SOLIDWORKS but forums and was posted last year I guess.

• 9. Re: ONE and TWO
                        David Mandl

My favorites from this list:

1. Focus more on fixing bugs, 212, Matthew Lorono, 18576 Views
                        2. Substantially increase stability in SOLIDWORKS, 150, Matthew Lorono, 480 Views
                        3. Completely release memory / GDI handle when file is unloaded, 77, Shaodun Lin, 501 Views
                        4. Fully integrated Sub-D modeling tool, 55, Shaodun Lin, 2178 Views
                        5. please enhance healing for imported models > please add CADFIX to SWX, 45, Ulrich Hanisch, 137 Views
                        6. SolidNetWork License Manager: license usage statistics, 33, Deepak Gupta, 174 Views
                        7. Make the Top Ten Lists Still Available After SWW, 20, Dennis Dohogne, 84 Views

And since I never had access to it, items I wanted to add:

• Increased reliability of surface references for attaching leader lines for dimensions and annotations:  LET NAMED EDGES/SURFACES WORK AS WELL FOR DRAWINGS/MBD AS THEY DO FOR ASSEMBLIES!
                        • Just let me add relations for annotation positions.  I shouldn't need to use "snap to rectangle center" to center a note, and I'd like if I didn't have to redo it after every design change.
                        • Add more visibility for me to know which view is being referenced by a BOM table in a drawing.  Even better if I can change the reference whenever I like.
                        • 10. Re: ONE and TWO
                          Jim Steinmeyer

I am glad Chris's request to deal with ZTR came in as high as it did. He has been screaming for this long enough. Also the request for bounding boxes should come in helpful. Maybe some of these things will actually be listened to.

• 11. Re: ONE and TWO
                            David Mandl

Not going to lie:  I do wonder if ZTG is something that'd be dangerous to get into the hands of someone who might not know what they're doing...

• 12. Re: ONE and TWO
                              Paul Salvador

..agree... as much as I luv reading Chris' post... ZTG can be double edge sword.   Using other tools, like Pro/e.. we knew what is was and how to deal with it.

Part of me thinks the users SHOULD understand what this is and how to deal with it.. and part of me says.. OH NO Mr. Bill....

• 13. Re: ONE and TWO
                                Rick Becker

Let me add my personal favorite. A few threads have discussed this over the last few years and it was #5 on the list in 2014...

• 14. Undo/Redo - Un-Limited/Un-Restricted, 45, Rick Becker, 742 Views

All the top tens from 2001 until present can be found here (Thank you Dan Herzberg)...

SolidWorks World Top Ten List Data | Dan Herzberg

• 14. Re: ONE and TWO
                                  Dennis Dohogne

I wonder if Daniel Herzberg is attending SWW2017?

1 2 3 First Previous