8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2018 9:49 AM by Harald Timm

Creating PDF of released drawing with identical document number by task on remote host

Harald Timm

Boundary conditions:

PDFs and Office documents can be added to the vault in different Workflows, this is declared by a variable on the datacard: ECR, APQP, 4EYE, BEP, NONE

So before a PDF can be checked in, the user has to declare to which document class the new PDF or DOC/XLS belongs.

Situations: users w/o SolidWorks are unsatisfied with eDrawings as app and they Need to Forward released drawings to suppliers. They need immediate Access to a neutral Format of the SLDDRW.

Idea: create a PDF during Release transition of the drawing. The PDF, converted by the Task can get the same Status and the same document number.

Any user can see a PDF of the latest released Version (even 3D PDF would be an idea!)

Users w/o SolidWorks don't mess with running changes, because only the released is readable for them, they don't about "15/17".

Problem: the new PDF won't check in automatically except : an API is programmed or the dispatch is used.

Disadvantage of dispatch: here it's not possible to Transfer a source variable to a Destination variable --> with dispatch it's not possible to get same state and same number as of the souce SLDDRW.

And usually, the PDF Needs to be classfied before first check-in.

API??

Does anybody already had an idea to solve this?

Harald

• Re: Creating PDF of released drawing with identical document number by task on remote host
          Steve Ostrovsky

Not the most elegant method, but use your normal Task to create the PDF in the vault. This will allow you to pass data card variable values from the drawing to the PDF. Then use Dispatch to auto checkin the PDF only in that particular folder. I actually just created a Three Minute Thursday how to video on this yesterday (not one of my better videos, but it gets the point across).

Auto Check-In to SOLIDWORKS PDM Pro with Dispatch - YouTube

• Re: Creating PDF of released drawing with identical document number by task on remote host
            Stephen Lapic

Yes, using the Task is probably the easiest way.  What is nice is that I can put it in multiple areas inside of the workflow if needed.  I have it at the very end when the revision is updated and it is going into release but I also have it earlier in the workflow after it is checked but before released.  This uses a different revision schematic but is available for engineers to send it out for quotes and approvals.  Plus the file and the pdf can be linked as references so they can move along the workflow together if desired and you can set the task to place the pdf in a separate folder.

Craig Schultz

This is how I separate/direct out PDFs into different folders using tasks.  Manufacturing drawings, Inspection Drawings, Finishing drawings.....

To direct PDFs according to your classes:  Try adding an extra state to your drawings workflow, then have auto transitions with conditions set equal to your class.  In the transitions you can have the class variable be transferred over to the PDF.  Just make sure to have that variable on your PDF card.  You can direct the PDFs into specific folders with the PDF task.

Harald Timm

Thanks to Steve, Stephen and Craig. Your proposals do work, but they work with different Folders. The main idea is to find the files beneath their source file.

There might be an Option if the target Folder is placed inside the Project Folder of the source file, but this will make it necessary to update 200 Project Folders.

API is the only solution to get same Directory, same state, same author,same doc.no.

Shawn Pantzke

So after thinking about your dilemma for a bit I may have a solution for you.

If I am understanding correctly you have separate workflows for different file types, for the moment lets say SolidWorks files (.sld---) and pdf files.

If you create the pdf file from a task in EPDM you can push the variables to the pdf from the .sld--- file. This should take care of the requirements to have the same author and so on as those are variables.

Lets say that the workflow below is for .sld--- files. You will need to set the conditions on the files that are allowed to enter the workflow so that the file types you do NOT want in the work flow are NOT permitted, file path does not contain %.pdf%

In the transitions you could set a variable, say state, to 'Review' and push that to the data card to the pdf for the submit for review transition and push 'Approved' in the Approve File transition.

Then you have a separate workflow for the .pdf files with automatic transitions with conditions of State = Approved for the Approve File transition. Again you would need to set the conditions for the files that are permitted into the workflow similar to as described above.

you would need to recreate the .pdf file in each transition of the .sld--- workflow so that the .pdf file would properly transition.

There is no reason that both files could not reside in the same folder and have the same filename as they would have different extensions.

Let me know if you didn't follow me... it made sense in my head.

Regards

Shawn