78 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 4:59 PM by Jeff Mowry

When is Enough, Enough?

Dennis Dohogne

After having some problems with SWX2017 SP1.0 that EV SP2.0 isn't solving I have reverted to using SWX2016.  Not really a problem, but there are some things in 2017 I came to really like and now miss.  However, I have a job to do and 2017 was costing me more time dealing with the problems it caused than I could tolerate.

Today must be Monday for SolidWorks because I was doing something simple and 2016 crashed.  Run the Rx and try again.  Crash.  Run Rx and try again, this time saving after every successful step.  All I was doing was changing the fixed position of the first part in a simple assembly to where the whole assembly was mated to the primary planes and centered the way I wanted.  Everything was Jake until I tried to do the last mate, a coincident mate of a plane in one of the parts to the Front plane of the assembly.  Even if these were not parallel I should have only gotten a mate error, but instead consistently got crash after crash.  Up to six now in the span of 25 minutes.  Yay!

Normally I just run the Rx and maybe choose the circle for "Yes, I've seen this before" without adding a description of what I was doing.  Here is today's:

I've used SolidWorks ever since the first version, 1995, and brought it into every company I've worked for and influenced other companies to go to it as well.  My advocacy was often called upon by the VARs.  The software, when it works, is terrific and a joy to use.

But after 20 years and getting failures on something this simple I do not know how much more I can take.  I can do a changeover to another package for less than what we are currently paying in maintenance so there is NO financial reason to stay with SolidWorks, at least not in dollars the owner will see.  Converting to another package is not as hard as it sounds if you've done it before (as I have a couple of times in my career).  I'd rather stay with SolidWorks, but my patience is being tried; my loyalty has been pi$$ed away by the crap we're getting.

I've about had it up to here:

Image result for spinal tap 11

• Re: When is Enough, Enough?
          Vladimir Urazhdin

HI Dennis,

Sadly, I have to admit: the latest both reliable and advanced SW version is SW 2014.

The good time is over...at least for now.

Chris Saller

IMO, it's as reliable as your hardware/OS and your installation.

Dennis Dohogne

Chris, this is a SolidWorks problem, not a problem with my hardware.  I have a robust machine that has run SWX very nicely without any problems and it passes all the certifications.

I just ran a repair of SWX2016, SP5.0 and the problem still occurred resulting in a crash.  So, over lunch I uninstalled and re-installed SP5.0.  I just crashed again on the first attempt.  Maybe there is something funky with the file, but I'll have to get my VAR to make that determination.  I am not getting any warnings about anything wrong or corrupt with the assembly or its components.

Steve Ostrovsky

Dennis - Just some quick troubleshooting I would normally do with something like this.

1. Does this same assembly cause the same crash on another machine? If yes, it may very well be in the files themselves and you computer is fine. If no, then I would look at your computer.

2. Can you perform the same operation on another set of assembly/parts and get the same result? If yes, then it's something in your computer and not the files.

I'm sure you did a good cleanup with the uninstall/reinstall (registry, hard drive, etc) as you've probably been through this many times.

I agree though, something this trivial shouldn't cause SolidWorks to crash. A repeatable crash on a very specific operation does indicate there's a specific problem somewhere. It's the patience to find it while trying to get work done that's so troubling.

Good luck!!

Dennis Dohogne

My VAR is having the same crashes (in both 2016/17) and has been on the phone with corporate.  I'm posting the 2016 versions of the assembly here if any of you care to look for yourself.  Bazaar thing is that I started these from scratch in 2016 earlier this week and had no problems until this morning.  Groundhog day?

I was thinking the welded wire mesh, CES003-3 with its many small saddle shaped intersections could somehow be the culprit, but I cannot even test that theory.  That file is still only one body and there is no reason SWX should be choking/puking over it.  But if it is then I can find a way around it.  I just need to identify what is causing the hurt.

I am shut down.  Since I have to get these done (more work to do with them, but cannot go any further with this problem) I am now looking at starting over in an even older version, perhaps 2014 as Vlad suggested.

If anyone can identify what is causing the problem I would be extremely grateful.

Steve Ostrovsky

I'm opening your files and doing a CTRL+Q with Verification on Rebuild turned on... Crash. I think it's in the file CES003-3 file which somewhat good. Time to investigate a little more.

Dennis Dohogne

Steve Ostrovsky, I have those same suspicions so right now I have just that part open and am making different configurations: Default (as-is, but I'll name is something else to force the assy to let me choose), Multi-Bodied (where each wire is a separate body), and Simplified (with just a single simple feature).  I'll let you know tomorrow how it turns out.  Right now it's time to go home and kiss my lovely bride. 

Frank Krockenberger, my bad, I forgot to include the silkscreen.  But the crashes are happening without it anyway.  Yes, I am and have been doing the step-by-step you are suggesting.

See, it's not my computer!  It's something wacked in the software.

Frank Krockenberger

WELL you just crashed my computer  HAAAAAAAA, (2016 sp4)

Glad I saved,

What I did was click on the "silkscreen" part and Poof,

When I loaded the assy the silkscreen could not be found,

I suggest loading up your assembly in lightweight and and suppressing all files, turn off lightweight, and

start at the top and un-suppress one at a time

and see if you can get it to crash,then work your way down,

Good luck,

Steve Ostrovsky

I've tried to open it in Advanced mode where you can load just the assembly structure and capow - it goes bye bye. I was hoping to unsuppress each part one at a time until it crashed to weed them out, but I can't even get there.

You've something crappy in these files. You might be ok with recreating the assembly.

Ned Hutchinson

Messed around with your assem in 2017 sp1.

Crashed 4 times in 5 min by trying to

unsuppress silkscreen=crash

fixed first part cuase assem floating=crash

changed config to silkscreen unable to find component silkscreen, changed to welded config then back to defult=crash

tried to mate coincident to front plane=crash

I would like to know if any one sees error reports because mine always go non responsive.

2017 crash.png

Tom Gagnon

(2016 SP3)

Similar to others, it crashes when I try to do this:

Suppress a mate

Delete a mate

Unsuppress a mate

Add a new mate

Delete Silkscreen

Insert New Part (virtual)

Delete BOM

I also created a version of CES003-3 without linear patterns, by scratch in the sketch entities and relations, dimensions. It crashes when I try to do this:

Replace Component (with or without mates, but with mates it got me as far as 4 out of 5 mates found, 5th one IDK)

Insert Component

I gave up on the pattern-less part after fussing with some more things.

I inspected parent/child of first component CES003-1, noting what I'm unfamiliar with. First child was Weld Folder. Selecting any Weld type shows them misaligned with the bodies, about halfway off the parts to the right and halfway floating in space. This is most curious. Though I'm not familiar with Weld Folder in the least beyond VAR class content, I still don't think it should be acting like that. Maybe someone else can run with that.

I WAS able to Hide Cosmetic Welds and Suspend Automatic Rebuild on weld folder.

Even so, attempting to delete any welds caused crash also, individually or per type.

Another clue? History. Most recent are two mates, and messing with either one crashes. Silkscreen and its one mate are suppressed because it wasn't included, to be expected. But before that, I see Weld Bead10 through Weld Bead15 suppressed. Maybe this reinforces the visual error on weld beads noted above, as being a recent thing that now broke it? I have no idea and little understanding to add.

Shaodun Lin

Hi:

My initial assessment shows the root cause could be either file corruption or SPR 814802, I will update you once have more information from the Technical Support team.

Best regards

------------------------------------------

Shaodun Lin

Technical Account Manager - APAC

shaodun.lin@3ds.com

------------------------------------------

Shaodun Lin

Hi Dennis:

According to Technical Support,

The only file corrupted is the top level assembly ‘CES003.SLDASM.’

So you have to recreate the Top Level assembly in this case.

Regards

Shaodun Lin

John Sweeney

Hi Dennis,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Please try using the attached version of your assembly.  There was a problem with the suppressed weld beads in your top-level assembly.  The attached version of your assembly was resaved in SW2016 and has repaired the data associated with the graphical display of the weld beads.

We are also looking at our code to try and determine how the bad data might have occurred.  We have a few theories and hope that it boils down to something concrete that we can fix in our code vs. something random like one of your save actions failed due to a packet drop.

We'll keep you posted on any possible code fix.  Please let me know if your assembly seems OK with the repair attached.

Best Regards,

John

Jim Sculley

A packet drop?  Please elaborate. 

Dennis Dohogne

Jim Sculley, I'm sure John can explain it better, but I believe a packet is a chunk of data that is being communicated.  In writing a file from RAM to fixed storage or via electronic communications the file is chunked up into packets.  There are checksums to make sure everything is there, but apparently there can still be problems.

John Sweeney, thanks so much for looking into this.  My VAR still has not gotten anywhere with this (which speaks to the power of this forum!!).  Others have also suggested the problem is related to the welds.  I will look into this when I get a chance and report back.  I don't understand your thought about a packet drop unless it is somehow systemic because others, including some good folks at my VAR and at SWX, have been able to see the problem for themselves on their machines.

John Sweeney

Hi Dennis,

Once a file is corrupt, the data stored inside the file is the real problem.  Sometimes entire pieces of the internal data is missing and sometimes the values or information for a particular feature is wrong or missing.  This would cause most, if not all, people to see the same problem if they open the file and perform the same steps.  It certainly depends on what data is corrupted, and sometimes depends on your hardware or what version of SolidWorks you're using, but this should be true in most cases.

Are you able to open and rebuild the assembly now without seeing the problem?

-John

Jason Edelman

there is still an issue with a weld bead? But it does not crash...

Dennis Dohogne

Jim,

The file opened just fine in 2016 and I was able to add the last mate.  I ran through all three configurations and they are fine too.

Since you have identified the suppressed weld beads as the problem, can you recommend how I should proceed with that effort?

MANY, MANY thanks.  Your efforts are restoring a bit of my faith in SWX.  However, I do not see that I was doing anything wrong and should not have encountered the problems I did.  I would rather the software refuse to do something I was incorrectly attempting than to go ahead with it only to choke and puke later.  Was I doing something wrong?

John Sweeney

Hi Dennis,

I doubt that this was caused by incorrect modeling practices because it looks like a fairly straight forward and simple assembly.  We are still investigating if we can find a workflow that causes this from scratch.  Jason's suggested workflow for moving the base component is something we'll look into.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

John

Chris Clouser

John Sweeney wrote:

Hi Dennis,

Once a file is corrupt, the data stored inside the file is the real problem. Sometimes entire pieces of the internal data is missing and sometimes the values or information for a particular feature is wrong or missing. This would cause most, if not all, people to see the same problem if they open the file and perform the same steps. It certainly depends on what data is corrupted, and sometimes depends on your hardware or what version of SolidWorks you're using, but this should be true in most cases.

Are you able to open and rebuild the assembly now without seeing the problem?

-John

John, not sure if this has been said, but the real problem is not knowing what the heck is the problem.  If you'll look back in the forums to last year and the abysmal release of 2016, I was in Dennis' position.  Files that were working fine in '15 no longer worked in '16.  Neither the VAR or SWX could figure it out.  I finally, through weeks of effort, found the offending file and put the project back on track.

The software should NOT crash if there is a part with an issue.  My car does not run into a tree if the alternator goes bad.  My SWX assembly should not crash if a part has an issue.  WHY is the software not intelligent enough to say, hey I'm having a problem with part so and so!?

I'm not a programmer, but there seems to be a logical sequence that would allow a corrupt part to provide an error message rather than taking out the entire software!

John Sweeney

Hi Jim,

For example, if you are saving a file across a network and your network is dropping packets perhaps due to network congestion.  Our file save code performs some sanity checksum actions before doing the final commit of the file, but problems could still occur as files are moved and saved across networks.

-John

Jim Sculley

That's not how networking works.  If saving across networks were susceptible to packet loss, no one would ever save files across networks.  A write request to a network file protocols such as NFS (Unix) or CIFS/SMB (Windows)  is required to report back to the application making the request the number of bytes written to the file and usually a lot of other useful information such as whether or not the disk is full.  If corrupt files are being written, the problem is not the network, it's not the destination device, it's the source application.

Jason Edelman

John my understanding of the issue is; the components were all mated, weld fillets added and then 'base' component moved.

So was moving the base component what causes the 'hiccup'?

Also, your SW file is 2017...  forgot I never installed SW16

Walter Fetsch

There is some truth in what you say, but in 2017 crashes are so prevalent that it is clearly not a problem with the OS or installation.  Also, if your software is so sensitive that its entire world has to be perfect, that is a development failure.  Resiliency is a software requirement.

Jeff Mowry

In 2006 I went through this sort of angst, having upgraded to v2007, SP0 in attempt to gain some animation features I needed for a quick-turn project.  Lost a lot of sleep (and hair) with that one, and have never since jumped early.  That particular bug literally corrupted my assembly files, and since it was buried out of sight in the animation tools, it took a little while for a fix to be developed (didn't have thousands of people clamoring for a patch).  Finally limped through that deadline by figuring out work-arounds, and the result ended up good---with a happy client.  But it wasn't remotely worth it.

I still use v2015, and have v2016 and v2017 sitting on the shelf, paid for.  Maybe one day...

Rick Becker

We all feel it. Just today SW 2016 SP5.0 crashed for me. All I was doing was attempting to edit a Broken Out Detail. RMB click on Edit Definition. Crash. Only cost me an hour.

The #1 and #2 Top Ten List speaks volumes about the software. If it was good, not crashing or buggy, there would be very few votes.

Will this message fall on deaf ears?

Is it even Likely that Dassault will entertain the possibility of a major version upgrade with no new features but rather all hands on deck fixing bugs and errors?

Chris Champions

I understand how's your frustration now but ... You'd better wait after SWW as the SW guys now are busy for the convention

Dennis Dohogne

That should not be OUR problem.  I'm sure not everyone from SolidWorks is going to SWW and probably the majority of us on this forum and certainly the whole user base are not going.  Our lives and needs don't stop for their convention.  Even my VAR will still be handling tech support while their guys are there.

Kelvin Lamport

I can open the part files in SW16 & SW17 and perform a CTRL+Q with Verification on Rebuild enabled without a problem.

I can also rebuild the assy in both SW16 & SW17.

For me SW crashes when I try to unsuppress or delete the Silkscreen part file. So I have to surmise that file is the real problem .

Rick McDonald

Did you see the new SolidWorks Blog Post (2/2/17)?

http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksblog/2017/02/come-l-prepared-last-minute-solidworks-world-checklist.html

It included:

SOLIDWORKS Top Ten

This year we are changing the format and adding an hour-long breakout session on the SOLIDWORKS Top Ten during which you can see the results of the 2017 Top Ten, review the history of the Top Ten, get more details on quality-related improvements, hear first-hand from the R&D Development manager and participate in an interactive discussion. The session will take place Wednesday from 1:30-2:30.

Since the top ten Two had problem fixing subjects this may be a good place to express and get responses on them.

Tateos Tvapanyan

Hi Dennis,

Your assembly crashes my PC too.

And I decided to recreate it from scratch.

Surprisingly don't have any issues with the new one.

So I looked more closely at your assembly and found out that you don't have a fixed part. Also, you have mates to main planes. I don't say this is wrong just different way to do it. So I decided to share my workflow how I am doing assemblies.

First I always place my first part as fixed - this is my base part, and all others parts will be mated to this one or between them. The only part that I mate to main planes if necessary is the base part just to locate it properly, and after that, I fix it. Never, never mate another part to main planes (this did me a lot of problem in the past).

Hope this will be useful.

Tateos Tvapanyan

Another shot!

I clean a bit you assembly and now it didn't crash.

I will try to explain what I did.

1. move all part to deferent location, so assembly to lose the links to parts.

2. Open the assy. and deleted all configurations, tables and welds. Save and close.

3. Move CES003-2 back to assy. folder. Open assy. and fix the part. Save and close.

4. Move CES003-1 back to assy. folder. Save and close.

5. Move CES003-3 back to assy. folder. Save and close.

6.Move CES003-4 back to assy. folder. Save and close.

7.Move Tube End Plug back to assy. folder. Save and close.

And all work normal now.

You can use this workflow to examine what exactly cause the problem.

Jack Blake

Swapped out solidworks for VISI CAD about a year ago now. In that time I've probably experienced about 4 crashes, and that's using it 8 hours a day 5 days a week doing some pretty complex models.

I've made 5 or 6 enhancement requests and 4 of them are already in the software the other will be in the next release.

Can't get over how powerful VISI is as well,hard to explain that one but it's based off of the same engine so makes me wonder if Solidworks is just capped so Catia feels that much better to warrant the price?

Craig Schultz

Vero is a good company and their support is excellent.  I used Radan at the sheet metal shop I worked at.  Way easier than using the 2 software packages (Trumpf for punching, Salvagnini for laser),  1 part file for any machine vs up to 9 files depending on laser vs punch, and orientation of punched part.

Fernando Castro

I agree, SW is a great and powerfoul software but. it crashes a lot if you do the tings in certain ways there is a lot of bugs. i maybe should start using another CAD software not for  replacing my solid works but to have knowledge for otrher alternatieves in the futute :/

Dennis Dohogne

Since I've just got to get some of the work done for my next steps I am currently using an alternate assembly consisting only of the two frame tubes.  I've actually been able to go forward with the next steps.    However, I'm now pretty skittish and save quite often as well as hit Ctrl-Q frequently.

I really appreciate everyone's efforts and suggestions.  I am trying some of them myself and passing the rest onto my VAR.  I hardly ever contact them with a problem, on average less than once a year, so it is high time they earn the subscription fees!!

Henk Bruijn De

tangent mate.PNG

Dear Dennis,

I have examined your files very carefully, because I wanted to know if this is caused by SW itself.

I use SW2017 SP1 and the problem can be very well reproduced and causes crashes when the assembly is rebuild manually or automatically, as described by other users already.

The parts and files seems OK to me, however I would model them more symmetrically around the origin.

However the assembly contains an unsolvable tangent mate in CES003-3, see picture. The blue colored rod of CES0003-3 sinks a bit into the surface of CES003-1 and can not be tangent to this surface,

This is because the position of CES003-3 is already defined by mates through CES003-4 and CES003-2.

It seems a circular mate reference to me. This is difficult to repair in the assembly because on every attempt SW will crash.

Such expensive and advanced software should handle such mating errors much better.

I also advocate to mate your components to the main planes of the assembly when possible, just to prevent circular mate references .

Dennis Dohogne

I'd like to offer a huge shout-out to Shaodun Lin!!  He has been in communication with SWC tech support on my behalf.  Though I am not in direct coms with them, this is a good start.

Please check the communications below.  Some of it would be humorous if we weren't talking a debilitating problem:

>>Edit:  Removed image showing messages at Shaodun's request.<<

John Sweeney

Hi Dennis,

2017 SP3 has a fix for the problem you reported with your weld bead assembly.  The problem is not related to your modeling practice but is a coding error on our side.  We have also made public today a hotfix solution for 2016 sp5 which can easily patch your SW2016 sp5 installation.  The SPR number is 1006822 and the corresponding hotfix can be downloaded from SOLIDWORKS General Hotfixes | SOLIDWORKS .

Thanks for your patience and for your help in identifying the problem.

Best Regards,

John

Dennis Dohogne

John Sweeney,

Thanks for posting this hotfix information and link.  I just installed it, but have not had a chance to test it on the problem file.  I do have a couple of questions.

1. Upon completion of installation I got the following message:

Does this mean I have to disable/uninstall this hotfix before installing SWX2017 SP3.0?

2. If I uninstall this hotfix in order to install SWX2017 SP3.0 then does that render my still-used SWX2016 prone to this problem again?

3. Since this just issued a few days ago are we to assume it is not included in any of the SP's for SWX2017?  If it is included then please identify which one.

By the way, I was never sent the SPR # from my VAR nor notified of this hotfix by them.  I sent them an e-mail today asking for a status on the problems I had sent them starting with this one back in January.  If it weren't for you posting the hotfix I don't know if I would have found out about it.

Dennis Dohogne

AND, I am still using SWX2016 because SWX2017 has screwed me over so bad I had to stop using it, so it is important that I got this hotfix.  I have just stopped doing the weld features and resorted to notes and supplemental documents to convey my needs to the vendor.  Yea for work-arounds to something that used to work!!

John Sweeney

Hi Dennis,

You do not need to uninstall the hotfix for side-by-side installations as you describe.  We do recommend uninstalling it for service pack upgrades where you "replace" the old installation of SolidWorks, but the installer will do its best to handle that case too.

This issue is fixed in SW2017 sp3 which was released last week and also provided as a hotfix for SW2016 sp5 from our hotfixes web page (http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/Hotfixes.htm).

Best Regards,

John

Dennis Dohogne

John Sweeney,

Thanks for the reply.  Just to be clear, my SWX2016 SP5.0 with the newly applied hotfix does NOT require removal alongside whatever version of SWX2017 I also have loaded.  Perfect.

Now, what about #3?  Is this problem now "hotfixed" in SWX2016, but still a possibility in SWX2017?

John Sweeney

Correct on the hotfix install.... and sorry, I edited my reply above as you were probably sending the follow-up question on item #3.  I did not answer it in my first attempt at the post above.  The problem is fully fixed in 2017 sp3. 

-John

Dennis Dohogne

Hallelujah!  Thank you very much!

It would be appropriate to indicate in the hotfix message these two things:  1) Despite the message you get you DO NOT have to uninstall it if you have another installation of SWX, and 2) This hotfix is included in SWX2017 SP3.0.  The message obviously raised these questions with me and I'll bet with others as well.

John Sweeney

Hi Dennis,

Both good points.  On your first point, we are actively looking at the hotfix install message and will make it more clear or see about improving the installer to better handle all cases.

On your second point, I agree, it is not easy to find where the issue is fully resolved in a service pack.    The brute force way to figure it out would be to search the knowledge base for the given SPR number.  It should return two results.  One result is the hotfix topic and the other result should be the overall SPR topic which includes a "Fixed In" field or general text which tells you which service pack has the full solution.  This is not obvious and kind of a pain... I've talked to our Support Team and we will begin adding this text explicitly in the hotfix text and they will make sure it is also in the hotfix KB text.

Thanks for raising this.

Best Regards,

John

Dennis Dohogne

Thanks,John Sweeney.  I don't pull any punches in my criticisms of SWX, but that is because I know there are good folks there, like you, that recognize those comments as passionate suggestions or pleas for improvement.

I appreciate all the more that you posted your reply on this forum, making it more helpful to the users of this forum and those that might search for some of these things.  Frankly, I wish we would hear from more folks from SWX.  There are many times we are asking, begging, for someone on your side of the wall to reply with an answer.  Take that as another passionate suggestion/plea for improvement.

Mohsen Hosseini

Hi my friend,

the more advanced get the solidworks, the more problems it gets. ich have been working with it since 2004 and i have come to conclusion that the even versions  like 2004-2008-2012  are better than the odd ones.

But i do beg the solidworks to stop the promotion of the soft ware. what we have now or maybe 2016 is good. PLEASE STOP PROMOTION

Dave Dinius

I came across a post the other day, can't remember the topic or who posted it but it was about how we keep rehashing the .asmdot and .prtdot files and got me thinking if you are using old ones. It seems you are using a template from 2008. If it is true to what he wrote, you might want to update these templates with fresh ones. Unfortunately, it won't update the current files but could relieve some future headaches. Mine were old ones too so I did update them and so far, so good- no crashes!

Right click a plane and select feature properties.

Edit: After viewing the file I exited it and SW crashed!!

Roland Schwarz

SW needs to just plain quit with the annual releases. Improvements are incremental at best and rarely include anything truly productivity-enhancing, and nearly always damage things that were working just fine.

Marketing plan step 1: stop naming releases after years. Takes the pressure off having a product that is dated just because of its name. NX and Creo learned this.

Jeff Mowry

I absolutely agree with this, even considering the 2016 customer punishment policy of forced payment for all releases, whether support was used or not.

When you consider that six months or more may be required for each release to hit SP5, this means 50% of each annual release is still riddled with bugs---causing the software to be utterly unusable for a significant number of customers.  For those customers, they pay full price for 50% of the product's intended life cycle.