9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 10:41 AM by Glenn Schroeder

sheet scale not sticking in template .drwdot

Peter Thannhauser

(SW-2016). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I noticed others have struggled with this as well. I've built a new landscape drawing template where the sheet scale is defined as 1:1. All the primary view scales are set to be whatever sheet scale is. What I want when I create a new drawing is

- the default drawing is 1:1

- then all the other views reflect this 1:1

- but if I choose to update that particular drawing to some other desired scale, say 2:1, the other views automatically update to 2:1.

My problem is, the 1:1 never 'sticks' in the template. A new drawing created from this template always reverts to 2:1 for some reason, yet I can see 1:1 in the template. I've tried modifying a new .slddrt file also with 1:1 defined, nothing works. Help!

• Re: sheet scale not sticking in template .drwdot
          Logan Pegler

Hi Peter,

There is a system option that is automatically on by default that controls this.

Check under Tools > Options > System Options > Drawings > "Automatically Scale New Drawing Views".

If I turned this off I got the desired result with your template. With it on it scales the sheet scale automatically.

Peter Thannhauser

Thanks Logan, that did it!

Just for my own interest, with with checkbox selected as I had it, is it allowing SW to pick an appropriate scale based on the size of the part to best to fill the page? Because in that mode I almost always had spill over outside the border so it wasn't a great guesser. Perhaps it just estimates based on a single view as opposed to factoring in the overall layout with extended projection views coming off, thus using more paper space?

I have another question since you have my template. Bonus round What controls the right hand panel from always coming on & invading from the right on a new drawing creation? I don't seem to have this with my other templates.

Glenn Schroeder

Peter Thannhauser wrote:

Just for my own interest, with with checkbox selected as I had it, is it allowing SW to pick an appropriate scale based on the size of the part to best to fill the page?

It's supposed to, but for me they always come in too small and I have to adjust the sheet scale larger.

John Stoltzfus

Don't forget to do yourself a big favor and save your templates and your drawing formats it you make any changes, plus save out your Drafting Standard (which is at Tools/Options/Document Properties) and last but not least is copy your settings with Copy Settings Wizard, this will save you tremendous amount of frustration and time later...   - Been there done that

Logan Pegler

Just for my own interest, with with checkbox selected as I had it, is it allowing SW to pick an appropriate scale based on the size of the part to best to fill the page? Because in that mode I almost always had spill over outside the border so it wasn't a great guesser. Perhaps it just estimates based on a single view as opposed to factoring in the overall layout with extended projection views coming off, thus using more paper space?

Yes I think it makes a best guess based on the size of the sheet (e.g in properties it can be set to A4/A3 etc) for insertion of a single view.

Not sure on the exact parameters that it uses unfortunately.

What controls the right hand panel from always coming on & invading from the right on a new drawing creation? I don't seem to have this with my other templates.

I think that if it is pinned open when the template is saved, it retains this position when you re-use it. Try unpinning the side bar:

It didn't reappear for me with your template after doing this.