6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 6:12 PM by Christian Chu

Triangulated Surface Modeling

Liza Sarychev

Hello!

I really love the un-uniform triangulated surface of this lamp. I am trying to model this type of style of a handle of outside dimensions no bigger than r = 21.8 mm and h = 70mm. Does anyone know the most efficient way to do this? I started with just drawing triangles in 3D sketch, but it's been difficult to control them to be within the 21.8 mm radius.

Could I do a freedom surface and then triangulate it?

Thank you for your help!

• Re: Triangulated Surface Modeling
          Paul Salvador

..a indirect/random or easy way is to export your loft as a stl with the lowest settings (rough facets).. and use another program to decimate or reduce the polygon count until you like it.. edit/move/adjust facets,.. save as a stl and open again in solidworks as a solid/surface.

..the more direct to get a facetted look that you want.... add 3D sketches which intersect your outside loft in the form of triangles and Fill each triangle.. knit them all together...

Tom Gagnon

Could I do a freedom surface and then triangulate it?

No, not that I know of. Appearance of Chaos can be a difficult thing to create in an orderly manner. Maybe someone has a custom macro to accomplish that, but don't hold your breath for it. I would approach it one of 2 ways.

1) Make a skeleton 3D Sketch comprised of a major axis (doesn't have to really be an axis) with "branches" forking off of it to lead to the vertices or at least some of them. Then make a second 3D Sketch, relating to the endpoints in the 1st sketch. Create surface faces in 2nd sketch's triangles, enclose the body, and thicken to merge closed surfaces into a solid body.

2) Same as above, but with both example sketches created in the same sketch with the "skeleton" and "branches" set to construction lines.

Edit: After considering it further, you can start with a freeform surface, then deconstruct it manually as above by aligning the sketeton guide sketch to path along the handle's center for a spine, and constrain perpendicular branches to terminate along your freeform surface.

Christian Chu

Seem to be lot of work to me. Best way is to find certain number of triangle surfaces falling into a pattern then pattern it !

it's artwork so you can make up your own ! much easy to put them in a profile you want

Chris Dordoni

Here's something quick I did in Blender. I started with a cylinder, triangulated it, and then randomized the vertices just as an example. Its not pretty at this point of course, the next step would be to select each vertex in Blender and move it to where it looks like the form you want. To get to this point was about 5 mins.

It might take 30 mins or so of dragging vertices around to get something closer to what you want.

If you start with a primitive shape that encloses volume, you should use the Solid Body STL import option. Note its possible to create surfaces that intersect since there's nothing to prevent this from happening in Blender or other poly modeler, and if that happens, SolidWorks won't be able to import it.