5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 9:53 AM by Yulun He

Light Shine Through Pinholes

Yulun He

I have a plate with several pinholes (8+9=17), underneath which there is a light detector (rectangular region in the cross-sectional view).

The point light is defined at the red point directly above the holes. When the only light source is the point light, I would like to see the image of the light source on the detector after the light travels through the holes. It should look similar to this:Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 3.12.27 PM.png but the cross-sectional picture of the detector only appears to be uniform in light intensity. Is there a way to more accurately represent the scenario?

• Re: Light Shine Through Pinholes
          Harold Brunt

I'm curious how you are approximating the light on the detector now. Are you using a ray trace add-in or are you using a rendering software? I use the OptisWorks add-in for this type of thing and the software will give you a very accurate prediction of the energy you will get on your detector assuming the model inputs are accurate. There are several lighting / ray trace add-ins available for SW like FRED, ASAP, Lightools, and OptisWorks in the SW partners listings. The software can seem expensive depending on the type of business or industry you are in and the capability of the software.

Harold Brunt

So, for fun I made a quick approximation of your model (I had a few minutes on my lunch so why not?). I know you mentioned a red point source but I had a blue LED handy so I used that. Taking a wild guess at the model for things like the hole size and position, material, surfaces, etc the simulation is projecting the pattern you expect or at least close.

pin holes-rays.JPG

The detector looks like this:

pin holes.JPG

I've noticed there hasn't been much activity on this post but I thought I'd follow up anyway mostly because the OptisWorks reps will be at SWW this week if you want to talk to them.

Yulun He

Hi Harold,

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason, I did not receive email notifications about the activities. Anyways, yes, what you created for fun is basically what I want. I just need to see on the detector how much light goes through each hole. Which one of these add-ins should be the least expensive?

Thanks a lot!

Harold Brunt

No problem Yulun. I would suggest getting in touch with any or all of the software suppliers that look interesting to you. They typically have a free trial period and pricing that will both vary depending on the package (or combination of packages) you are interested in, and the size of the company you work for (or if you are a consultant). For some the price is no big deal and for others it can seem unreal. If cost or timing is an issue you can always sub-contract or the software vendors will usually offer the service as well.