36 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 7:40 AM by Dave Bear

Sketch Text in Drawing

Kurt Jacobson

Hello,

I am trying to layout the graphics for a machine control panel using a Solidworks drawing.  I thought this would work well as I could use the Sketch Text tool to place text accurately and make it follow curves, but it appears that the Sketch Text tool is not available in the context of a drawing.  This seems ridiculous, so I hope I'm just missing something.  I know I could make the sketch in a part file and then copy it to a drawing but that seems like a poor solution.

Does anybody know how to use the Sketch Text tool (or something similar) in a drawing?  Using Notes is not a suitable solution.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Kurt

• Re: Sketch Text in Drawing
          John Stoltzfus

Used Sketch text for many years and they work well, there are numerous ways of achieving this..  Split line curve or adding an offset surface the distance you want the text to be embossed or indented, or creating a part in a flat state then adding the flex feature to wrap itself around the surface you want. 

Can you up load the part?

Or pictures??

Kurt Jacobson

John Stoltzfus

Yes, I have used Sketch Text for many yeas too, and it works great, in the context of a part.  Now I want to use it in the context of a drawing and I cannot find were to access the Sketch Text tool.  It does not show up under Tools > Sketch Entities > Text.. as it does in a part file.

Thanks for the quick responce,

Kurt

For some reason I cannot reply to your post . . .

Kurt Jacobson

John,

I am designing the screen print layer for a control panel, so all I need is a drawing with some lines and text placed in specific locations.  I could make a part but since it would not have any features I would just be using a sketch to generate a drawing, so in my mind it makes more sense just to start with the drawing in the first place.

Notes would work if I could position them accurately with dimensions and make them follow curves, but I don't think Notes can do either.

So I think the basic answer is that the Sketch Text tool is not available in the context of a drawing.  That seems really silly though as Sketch Text is one of the only Sketch Tools that could be available in both the context of a part and a drawing and is not.  The only other Sketch Tool that could be available in both contexts and it not is Midpoint Line.  See the attached image comparing the Sketch Tools available in the contexts of parts and drawings.

Sketch Tools in Drawing VS Part.png

Thanks for your help!  It is greatly appreciated.

Now off to find a work around . . .

Kurt

Tony Cantrell

Create new part, in part create Sketched text, insert part in drawing (show sketches), it will show the text.

Kurt Jacobson

Tony,

I know that will work. I could also make the sketch in a part file and then copy it to a drawing but both workarounds seem like poor solutions since they involve many extra steps and going back and for between parts and drawings.

All I need is to be able to access the Sketch Text tool from within a drawing.  I don't see any technical reason why that particulate sketch tool could not be available in the menu in the context of a drawing as well as in a part.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same!  It might be my best solution.

Kurt

Rick Becker

Decals. Do you have a picture of the text you want? Add decals for the visual effect.

I have used a different CAD program(KeyCreator) that is very good for 2D anything including text.

I would get what I want perfect in KeyCreator and save it as a DXF.

I could then open the DXF as a 2D sketch and position it as a sketch in the part,

Kurt Jacobson

I am trying to create the graphics in Solidworks, so I don't have a picture.  Thanks for mentioning decals though, I had forgot about them! Lately I have just been using a Sketch Picture and showing the sketch for decals and such, but decals is better.  Thanks!

I will check KeyCreator out, sounds like it might be better than Solidworks for 2D work.

Kurt

Kurt Jacobson

Here is a work around for using Sketch Text in a Solidworks drawing.

Create a New Part file and start a Sketch.

Select the Sketch Text tool and enter a letter or two.

Check off the Sketch Text and Exit the sketch.

Select the sketch in the Feature Tree and copy with Ctr+C. (There is no right click menu item to copy.)

Open a Drawing and Paste the sketch.

You will now be able to double click on the pasted Sketch Text and edit its properties just like you would in a Part file.

NOTE: You will not be able to copy the Sketch Text from within the drawing to duplicate it, so paste as many instances as you will need before you push it out of your clipboard with some other copy!

I can't log in with my customer Solidworks account for some reason, so I can't submit an Enhancement Request for Sketch Text to be available in the context of a drawing.  I will submit a ER as soon as I am able.

Thanks to all who have helped me with this.

Kurt

Dave Bear

Not meaning to hijack your post Kurt, but whilst we are talking text and sketching etc, I thought I'd pose this question here rather than start a new thread as I've never done this procedure before and you guys obviously know your way around this things.

I have a model with a curved surface that I would like to put a custom text (extruded) on. I need to design the text first (should this just be an outline or a fill) and not quite sure which part of SolidWorks I should use to design it in (Or should I be using other software?)

Once I have the text design (sketch), I'm not sure of how to place it on the curved surface (someone mentioned 'wrap').

Text.jpg

If someone knows of a good walkthrough tutorial on this (not a poxy video) I'd very much appreciate it (pdf preferred) or your own step by step explanation if you have the time.

Many thanks....

Dave.