6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 10:38 AM by Rick McDonald

New hardware for solidworks 2013

Poul Toftgaard

Hey all,

I am looking in to creating a new workstation for one of my colleges.

Will solidworks 2013 work on new hardware, like a i7-7700k and  Quadro M2000?

And what are the minimum GPU I will need for normal day to day work?

Poul

• Re: New hardware for solidworks 2013
          Jeff Holliday

What is the operating system?. SW2013 was not qualified to work on Win 10. You may be able to run it in emulation mode.

The "minimum" is dictated by how demanding the expected use will be - mostly simple prismatic bodies, swoopy shapes/surfacing, etc. SolidWorks does not benefit too much from multicore/multithreaded machines. If the normal use will be for photorendering, drawings and simulation, multicores could be a help.

Poul Toftgaard

What is the operating system? Windows 7 to be sure that there are no problems with windows. i figure that i can upgrade this machine to windows when and if we get a new solidworks.

I am looking for the best single core performance and right now i think that is i7-7700k at the moment. i am not locked to that cpu, but just something in the newer generations.

I know that 7xxx series is not supporter in anything other then windows 10, but know that it works in windows 7.

Day to day work is creating something i 3D and generate work drawings of it. and then having it in a "larges" assemblies with up to 3000 parts to see how all of it fits together.

Poul

Rick McDonald

I recently purchased a new system and specified that I wanted Windows 7 on it and not Windows 10.

This system came with Windows 10 by default but also included the option for Windows 7 so I have then reload it with 7.

I am running SW 2015 sp5 - so that will work with Windows 10 but 7 is a stable OS and that is what we use at work and install on all systems we sell with equipment.  Most of our customers will not accept Windows 10 because they have hundreds of systems running and want all to stay on the same OS.

I have not had any problems with my new system.

As Glenn Schroeder said, invest in the SSD - it is amazing how much faster everything runs with that.

When you do your SWX install, Put the system files on the SSD and put your working files (parts, assemblies, drawings...) on the standard hard disk. 

Glenn Schroeder

SolidWorks didn't support Windows 10 until SW2015 service pack 5, so that's something to look out for.  I've seen a few people here say that they use Windows 10 with an earlier version, but I've seen many more say they had problems.

Glenn Schroeder

I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on hardware (or anything else, for that matter), but get a solid state hard drive and as much memory as you can.