36 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 12:28 AM by Deepak Gupta

How do you handle revisions

Mark Greenwell

Hi all,

Looking to get a few opinions on this.

Example:

I have a model PG4-1 (for example) and an associated assembly drawing. I then get asked to change a certain part of the model. This what I currently do.

Open up the model and do a File - Pack and Go and change the Save to name as PG4-1_01 (underscore 01 is reference to Rev 1) and do the same for associated drawing.

This works fine.

But what happens if I am asked just to change information on the drawing only (if extra notes are required etc).

At present I am still doing a Pack and Go and renaming everything as _02. which means the model is at Rev2 but hasn't been changed only the drawing

Is this still the correct way to do this or can you have two drawings referencing the same model? With the model at rev 01 and the drawings at rev 01 (original ) and Rev 02 (new).

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2017 sp1)

• Re: How do you handle revisions
          Deepak Gupta

In my opinion making copies of the files make no sense. If this is how you deal, I would suggest you to look into a PDM system.

Further if only drawing has to be changed, I would add the details accordingly in the revision table like "NOTES ADDED/REVISED".

Mark Greenwell

Hi Deepak,

PDM system is a no go, what I was thinking of was breaking the link between the Rev o1 drawing to the model and have the 02 revision being the referenced drawing. So when I open up the model the new revised drawing is referenced

We need to have all the Revised drawings available, so if the model gets revised 4 time we need to see this (and I use Pack & Go). However the drawing may need to be rev 9 times (for notes etc). So when I open up the model at rev 04 I want the drawing at rev 09 to also open up. The drawings rev 0 - 08 are saved onto a server where others can look at them.

Thanks

Mark

Deepak Gupta

But what happens to assemblies where these parts are used?

Mark Greenwell

Hi Deepak,

Not sure I understand what you mean by assemblies where the parts are used.

All our parts are unique and wont be used elsewhere.

Thanks

Mark

Deepak Gupta

So you mean you only make parts and no assemblies. If yes then then you can rename the files as needed. I would only suggest to keep both part and drawing on same rev. Reason, when you use open drawing from part file, then SW will try to look for drawing with same name. And if that is different, then it won't open the drawing.

Mark Greenwell

Yes  what I need to do is break the reference from say rev 03 and have the model reference rev 04 so SolidWorks looks for the correct drawing.

So How do I break a drawing reference and then relink the model to a new daring?

Thanks

Mark

Deepak Gupta

Mark Greenwell wrote:

Yes what I need to do is break the reference from say rev 03 and have the model reference rev 04 so SolidWorks looks for the correct drawing.

Sorry to spill your coffee but this is not possible as SW looks for drawing with same name. You can open the model from the drawing even if both have different name but not other way round.

Mark Greenwell

Thanks Deepak,

Looks like I will just carry on doing what I am doing at present.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Greenwell

Deepak,

If it was a multi-body part (so saved as a single part with one name) and the drawing is an assembly drawing, could I break this original link, then attach the revised drawing to this part? If so could you outline the procedure.

Mark

Deepak Gupta

I'm little confused with your set up. Part is multi body and drawing is of assembly drawing whereas you earlier stated that parts are not used anywhere.

Anyway you don't need to break the link but change the references for that drawing to refer to the new part.

Mark Greenwell

Deepak

Sorry for an confusion I may have caused.

I would have posted something to show this (but not allowed).

One last question then, what is the procedure to change the reference that the drawing refers to?

Thanks

Mark

Deepak Gupta

No worries Mark

OK on the references, it the drawing is not directly referring to that part but an assembly then you just need to replace/update the reference in the assembly file and drawing would update. You can use the replace component or change reference option in assembly.

If the drawing is referring directly to that part then you can replace reference, using following method. Same procedure is for doing it in assembly.

1. In the file open dialog box, select the file (do not open it).

2. Click on references.

3. In the pop up window, you can edit the file name (if the path is same) or double click on it to browse the new file. Like in picture below, I want to change reference to baseplate.sldprt file. So I would double click on the name and it would open the file browse option to let me select a different file. The green color confirms the change in file name and path. Please note that if path is same then color eon't change for it

4. Click OK to apply the changes and close this window.

5. Click on open to open the drawing with update references..

Steve Calvert

It is my personal opinion that you should never break the link between the drawing and its part.  If a part changes, the corresponding drawing should change as well and vice versa.  This is simple rev unification at the part level.  There are no mistakes and you don't have to think much.

Now, when I used to use Unigraphics (prior to NX) they allowed some simple programming to create part numbers and revision control and we didn't need the PDM per se.  I did create folders RELEASED, ECO & WIP (you can have many WIP folders).  The part number would be like 881234_A   partnumber_revision  Under the RELEASED folder you would then have a partnumber_revision folder that would store all the changes made to each set (part and drawing).

--> RELEASED

--> PG4

--> PG4-1.sldprt

--> PG4-1.slddrw

--> PG4-2.sldprt

--> PG4-2.slddrw

--> PG4-3.sldprt

--> PG4-3.slddrw

At some time next, the -3 set will be changed.  You open them from the RELEASED\PG4 folder and save them both to the ECO folder as -5.  I don't really understand the need to do Pack N Go in this case, just open the drawing and then the part file and do save-as.

The downside to NOT having a PDM system is that you'll have physically maintain the folder structure by moving the stuff from the ECO folder when it gets released.

It sounds like you have a numbering scheme and even a revisioning scheme already so I'd suggest not breaking any drawing links and make folders.

Steve C

Rick McDonald

By Mill Spec. requirements (and I believe several others) Your rev. level does not change for notes or spelling errors...

Rev. levels Must change for any change to Form, Fit or Function.

Rev. levels Must NOT change for any other reason.

John Stoltzfus

Rick McDonald wrote:

Rev. levels Must change for any change to Form, Fit or Function.

lol - No wonder my wife says I'm a Rev_P - going on _Q

William Watkins

Rick, To add to this it all depends on the program you are working on. Navy product, you record everything you do, and you then send it up to the shipyard for the engineer to review, then he sends it to the SUPSHIP at the Navy, then in a month or two you get marked up comments back and the process starts over. In 6 months I might get the changes finalized. So that being said, you save all the changes up for one big HOORAY! about once a year. Then the inspector makes you scratch your head with more drawing adjustments.

William Watkins

Deepak,

In some cases, there does need to be revision control of certain active revisions. Jet engines for example. There may be 2 or 3 revisions out in service and you must keep that revision active. Same parts may be in each revision at different revision levels. So You must keep a segregated assembly for that revision. Once that revision is retired, or obsoleted then all those parts in that revision can be archived and taken out of active service. This is not a normal mode of operation for general industry and normal machine shop and Engineering practice.

I always used number revisions for pre production/prototype revisioning and lettered revision for production released assemblies and parts. keeping my activee assembly, part models with no revision letter and my active drawing file name unrevisioned. I would then saveas or packand go a revised assembly and drawing with a revision letter if I thought it necessary. I always keep a PDF of the revisoned drawings to keep the running record.

Not everyone can afford the resources and enterprise PDM, or a person for that role. Been there at those places.

Will

John Stoltzfus

I'm in no way an expert in this and the way I do it is probably frowned upon by a corporate system or ANSI, but here we don't use PDM so all my revisions are manually done, through a ECR & ECN process.  So we do collect history, however it is based on individual parts and individual assemblies.

If the part needs to be modified the REV gets bumped up to the next letter in the Custom Properties and in my Custom Property Tab Builder I have note properties that explain what changed. 

If there is a change to a drawing only and not changing anything physically to the part, we wouldn't bump the REV, we make those changes and again that information is in the part file and I have a note layer that I set to not print and that note is shown on the drawing. 

Is this the right way, possibly not, but the information is collected and tracked and here that is all we are worried about....

Mark Greenwell

Hi John,

We are a bit different we have to have each r=Rev shown in a drawing.

So If both the Model and drawing is at Rev 0 when 1st created and the model changes 3 separate times, both the model and drawing are at Rev 03.

If the drawing only changes (too add some notes) another 2 times, the model is still at rev 03 but the drawing is now at rev 05.

I need to create the drawings that show rev 01,02,03,04,05 as we save them to a project folder.

So now when I open up the model and go create drawing if there is already a drawing associated with the model then I can open this up and it should be the rev 05 drawing.

Thanks

Mark

John Stoltzfus

Yeah the difference here is I bump the parts or assembly REV's where you need to change and manage the REV at the drawing level, so I would say you're doing it correctly.

Mark Greenwell

Hi John,

I might just carry on with the way I am doing it currently, unless Deepak explains how I can break links and reattach.

Anyway I will mark this as correct.

Thanks

Mark

John Stoltzfus

I would really hesitate to break the link, but if I understood you correctly you want to see the part in it's initial form as well, so for a simple conversation you make a small square part and the part number/rev would be PG4-1_01, then later you add a 1/4" hole now you bump the part from PG4-1_02 and soon later you notice that you forgot a dimension or you need to add or delete a drawing view and now the drawing is bumped to PG4-1_03...  By now you have three different versions of the drawing and based on what you're saying, in a few years from now you want to be able to open the drawings side by side and check the progression of change....

Here is what I would do.... (Not good practice if the part is going into an assembly)

Open PG4-1_01, make the physical changes add the 1/4" hole and do a "Save As Copy " (PG4-1_02), don't save the original file....  Open drawing number PG4-1_01 and select all the views, right click and select "Replace Components", follow the prompts and add PG4-1_02 then do a Save As PG4-1-02, close PG4-1_01, (don't save), now open PG4-1_02 and add or change dimensions accordingly...

Mark Greenwell

John,

I will check this out, but for this example I will have a multi - bodied part. So the model is a single part and I am only concerned with the assembly drawing, not the component drawings.

Thanks

Mark

John Stoltzfus

The open the assembly drawing and do the Pack & Go, make sure you have the "Include Drawings" box checked, use the "Search & Rename" button to change the parts and drawings that need changed.  Save the Pack & Go file zipped and to a folder on your desktop, close the drawing file.  Open file explorer and un-zip the new file, make your changes and close.  If you can open (2) sessions of SW and open both drawing files side by side make a slight change to the one and see if the other one changes etc, they shouldn't.

You may want to setup a temp file and a sample assembly to mess with, but surely you can get what you need with pack & go..

Mark Greenwell

Hi John,

That is what I am doing at the moment, I was looking for a way to break the drawing / model link at Rev 01, and attached a Rev 2 drawing to the model, without having to call the model rev 2.

So what I want basically is to have the model a different name to the drawing as the model would be PG4-1_01 and the drawing would be PG4-1_02. I thought I could break the link from the _01 model and the _01 drawing then attaché the_02 drawing back to the _01 model.

I think I am just going to carry on the way I am currently doing things as this is working using Pack & Go.

Thanks

Mark

Glenn Schroeder

"I was looking for a way to break the drawing / model link at Rev 01, and attached a Rev 2 drawing to the model, without having to call the model rev 2."  Not to keep beating a dead horse, but if you're going to break the link to a SW Drawing anyway, why not just save it as a pdf to track the revision, and then edit it as needed?  What would be the point of keeping a SW Drawing that isn't linked to the model?

Mark Greenwell

Glenn

Because I am trying to have a record of revisions.

I do save out the drawings as a PDF file, but I also need to save the SolidWorks drawings as well and the Soildworks drawings need to match the PDF drawings. That is why every time I get a revision I do a Pack & Go of both the model and drawing, I then rename to the next revision and save as a PDF to this rev.

Thanks

Mark

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Mark,

I'll confess I didn't read through all the responses, and I see you've marked an answer as correct, but it seems to me this may be getting more complicated than it needs to be.  In your original question you asked "can you have two drawings referencing the same model?"  The answer is yes.  So if all you're changing is some notes, you could simply save your Drawing as a new name, retaining the original, and make the changes to the new one.  There's no need to Pack and Go the models (at least none that I can see).

Glenn

William Watkins

When handling this in the past without a pdm, My LIVE or WORKING drawing and part file did not carry a revision in the name. But to keep the current revision files together so you keep the "AS IS" state of the drawing then you must save the entire package as a pack and go with the revision level it is representing. This ensures that you are maintaining the moment in time of that revision. This is what a pdm does behind the scenes. Therefore the need for large amount of storage space for PDM's.

I hope I made this clear enough to understand.

Will W