AnsweredAssumed Answered

Copying a surface/solid body from a part to another part into the same assembly.

Question asked by Jordi Pérez on Jan 19, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 by Jordi Pérez

Hello everybody,

I'm in trouble with this operation; even reading the 2012's answer for this same question (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/709585#comment-709585). I supose I'm missing something basic, but I don't know what else to try... I explain:

While working into an assembly file (SW2016), I am editing a part that needs to be cutted by a surface offset of another part. So what I need is to copy the offset surface from the original part to the cutted (not yet) one. Now I'm describing the steps I do:

1. In the feature tree right click in the part where the offset surface is > Edit part.

2. In the surface body folder of that part I find my beloved surface and I right click on it > Insert into a new part.

On the prompt window I can only save the surface being a new part itself, if I choose the part where I want to add the surface directly through the prompt browser I have an error after the piece is opened as a new file in the SW session ("Error while saving the document"). If I don't choose a file with the browser and click OK I also have the surface opened as a no-named new part and I am only able to save it as a new part (obviously if I choose the surface-needing part I am asked to overwrite it, but never to add or combine both parts). So... I save my surface as a new part to try to add it to the other part.

3. Now I leave the "editing part mode" and click insert > part and into the prompt I choose the new part that contains only the surface. I'm not finding a merge, combine, add to part or similar option, so I can only add this part as a new one into the assembly as the tree shows after the part incorporation.

4. I still having the same problem: My cutting surface is into a different part to the one that needs to be cutted...

So my question is:

Between steps 2 and 3, how can I save the surface into the target part file instead of rewrite it?

or...

What am I missing?

PS: I think this can also be reached by exporting the surface to an IGES file or similar, but I'm trying to find the way to do it into a more simple workflow because there must be a way...

Thank you so so much!!

Outcomes