Have you tried different option settings while import/open step file?
There is a chance the second body could be a construction surface, I think (is both body are the same or different?)
Can you find out the original CAD it came from?
To convert step file try to use an alternative 3D editor, for example free version of Onshape:
You have a chance to get a better result.
In case of success, save as .sldprt file as you need.
Another approach is to ask customer to send a more friendly to SW file - save as type to Parasolid (*.x_t) or Parasolid Binary (*.x_b).
I suspect your default template that SolidWorks is using has a body in it already.
Thank you all for your help. Sorry it has taken so long to reply but we moving to a different office and you know the rest.
The machine I am using has 2015 and 2016 installed and the 2015 template was saved with the other body. I fixed the template and set 2016 to the 2016 template and every thing wonderful.