6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 6:02 AM by Bernd Pai

How can I get all layers in DraftSight printed in black per default?

Bernd Pai

Hello community,

How can I get all layers in DraftSight printed in black per default, no matter what color I have in the different files?

Is there an option to set a global printing parameter accordingly?

Many thanx for help

Bernd Pai

• Re: How can I get all layers in DraftSight printed in black per default?
          Tom Gagnon

Welcome to the forums.

Use monochrome PrintStyle. This works regardless of printer because it is not driven by printer properties.

LineType, LineScale, and LineWeight still come through, just not colors. All objects that are not JPG, TIFF, etc. images will print as black.

monochrome.JPG

Rick McDonald

To add to Tom Gagnons reply,

If you use print configurations,

and always want to print in black only, you need to save the settings for every configuration

Select the configuration, and be sure the button "Use Print Configuration" is selected,

then follow Tom's advice for each configuration you use.

Then select (before you print) the "Save Configuration" button:

select the configuration that you want to use only the monochrome setting in and save.

This will associate the monochrome setting to that configuration.

I find that I have to re-do this every time up update my DraftSight version and I sometimes have to mess with it for a while before I get it right.

Sometimes I also have to also go into the "Print Style Table" and customize it "EDIT" (save a backup first).

I will select (or create) A style so that I can edit the individual features.

A few key features:

Dither - Turn this OFF - it is ON by default (Dither will create a line using small dots instead of a more steady line and will not be as dark).

Line Color - Set to BLACK

Then Save (or save As) your style - in this case - monochrome.

I think the standard styles are overwritten when you upgrade.

Bernd Pai

Hello Tom and Rick,

thanx very much for picking up my question.

Unfortunately, when I select the monochrome.stb as suggested:

the printout is still in color.

Rick,

unfortunately, I cannot get the filenames in your first 3 screenshots. Could you please send me clearer screenshots?

This would be very kind and helpful

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Bernd

Tom Gagnon

Are you able to Edit the PrintStyle settings as Rick McDonald mentioned?

I am uncertain of this, but I do imagine that if you were to uninstall DS, make sure that the PrintStyle files are deleted, then reinstall, that it would reset those files to default values. I'd consider this if you think that someone has been changing those settings. Before doing this, also consider saving your UI customizations by going to Tools > Customize Interface > UI Profiles > Create Customization File (and later maybe save it to desktop or some other location other than default, and return it after reinstall).

Otherwise, I'm at a loss unless there is something wrong with the printer driver, a broad topic. Maybe try checking the printer driver for updates?

Sorry to be of merely conjecture-based help, as I haven't experienced this problem before, in Draftsight anyway.

Rick McDonald

Bernd,

if you click on the images in my post above they will expand to a larger size for viewing.

In the third image in my post, the names are configuration names I created using the commands to create new configurations.

You can just use the "Default.cfg" if you are always wanting to print in monochrome (Black).

Or, where I show (in the third image) that I selected an existing configuration and that name showed up in the "File name" field, you can just type in what you want the new configuration name to be called.