3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 10:12 AM by Evan Stanek

tortoise svn use with solidworks pcb

Daniel Bartlett

I want to use the SVN functionality built into PCB for other files and programs.  Has anyone setup TortoiseSVN to do this?  I do not want to have separate servers/services running.

thanks

• Re: tortoise svn use with solidworks pcb
          Russell Lewandowski

I have, works great.  I have my primary SVN server running on linux/apache using https protocol as well as a backup SVN server that uses svnsync to maintain a separate instance/location in case the primary fails.  It was easier for me to use my existing infrastructure than the build-in SVN server that comes with PCB Services.  Just configure the SVN server on PCB Services and it will be available in the Open Project dialog box in SWPCB.  I did create a separate repo for just solidworks and pointed PCB Services to the root of the repo.  SWPCB creates folders under the configured location in the repo for each project.

I have also created an MCAD folder in the project and stuck all my Solidworks MCAD stuff in it.  You can use ToirtoiseSVN to direct access this folder and maintain your Solidworks MCAD stuff.  Just seems convenient to store MCAD-ECAD all in the same repo.

Note that there is a 'Commit Whole Project' and 'Update Whole Project' when you right-click on the Project root under version control.  Seems like these should be on the ribbon instead of buried in a menu.

Dmitri Ignakov

Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask a related question. Since you're using your own SVN, are you able to add it to other computers and see the projects too, or just the one computer you work on.

I tried this, and while I can use my own SVN from my machine, no one else who adds the same SVN can see any of the projects. They can make new ones, but no one except the person who made a project can see it. (I've checked that all the files are actually present on the SVN for everyone).

Thanks.

Evan Stanek

Hi, can you go into more detail on the purpose/usefulness of this?  I've heard the "tortoise SVN" idea thrown around by other PCB users, what is the application and how is this setup useful?  Just wondering for my own knowledge bank, Thanks!