3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 5:35 AM by Deepak Gupta

Group Toolbox Parts in BOM

Sean Trainor

I am looking to sort a BOM table so that it shows assemblies, then parts and then toolbox components. I can use the "sort" option, and check the boxes to group by assemblies, parts and other to get pretty much what I want, but the toolbox parts aren't grouped at the bottom of the table. I believe this could be because Solidworks is picking up Toolbox parts as Part models and so they are being grouped among the other part files.

I can shift + select the toolbox rows and drag to the position I want, but then there are times that the BOM table automatically updates and the BOM order is changed again which I don't want.

So is it possible to automatically sort a BOM the way I want and if not, is it possible to manually create the order I want and have this order locked?

• Re: Group Toolbox Parts in BOM
          Deepak Gupta

There is option to sort using Others but there is no way to define as what could be in the others. So you can only sort by Assemblies and part. And then drag the toolbox parts down the row. You can save this sorting (assemblies and part) using this option

and then right click on BOM and select Sort > Apply Saved Sort. This would save some time and clicks

Other option is to use assembly order. But you need to make sure that sub -assemblies are on top, followed by parts and then toolbox files in the assembly model.

Sean Trainor

Thanks for the reply.

If I save the sort settings after getting the BOM layout the way I want it, will this prevent the BOM from updating and changing back to matching the design tree order?

Deepak Gupta

Sean, the issue is that SW sorting option doesn't differentiate between parts and toolbox parts. And the other option does not work. There an SPR #:649370 which is related to Others option in sort (SPR is for example or more explanation of how the other option works) though it is marked as closed.

The BOM does not sort itself (using the group option) if you add more components.  So you'll have to sort every time. But if you use the "Follow Assembly Order" then it will auto sort based on how components are placed.