6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 1:35 PM by Tom Gagnon

Relocate a broken view?

Matthew Palmore

I have a very tall thin vessel for a refinery and i need to keep the majority of the internal details in tact. In a .slddrw I want to be able to use the ordinate dimension to label elevations for nozzels and other internals but at the same i want to be able to use a break view and move the top half below or above the bottom elevation view so that i can decrease the scale size so that its legible. Is their an easy way to do this?

in the past i've used a Crop view then i pull the model back in and recrop the other side with some simple construction lines to show the view but then i have to mess with the dims and it just takes time when im doing several of these a week.

I really wish i could just use a break view and then break the alignment from one side and move or position with all associated dimension staying in tact. Any Ideas?

• Re: Relocate a broken view?
          John Stoltzfus

If you have one setup done, try to pack & go the file. 

Matthew Palmore

Not really what im looking for.. Capture.JPG
              i attached this image to show what im talking about.. to get this view i have to import two models and dimension each one, crop each one, and then play with text to get it correct. i want to be able to dimension one.. then add a break view and re position the model in the same sheet space.

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Matthew,

I can't figure out how to do exactly what you want, but I have something else that may work for you.  Place a small view of the whole model, and then create Detail Views as needed.  Start your Ordinate Dimension on the parent and then move to the Detail View and make your selections.  In your case you'll need multiple Detail Views, but I don't see why this wouldn't work.

John Stoltzfus

I would say that would definitely be the best way,

May I add...

Which each Detail View can be scaled differently, therefore you can alter the scale amount for best fit.  Also you can add a view and drag it off the paper size and add your detail views there, that way the circles aren't in the way withing the paper size....

Tom Gagnon

That workaround resembles one I used a bit ago.

I had a 2-sheet drawing with two plans on 1st sheet, and multiple sections and elevations on 2nd sheet.

I placed a plan above the second sheet, outside of the drawing's paper edge. Then I made sections from that view to populate the drawing views. Technically, then I made sections of a section to show 'right' views.

Extending this to Glenn's advice, your smaller overall view does not have to be present on the paper, but can instead be somewhere outside the border. For that matter, it could be far larger than the page as long as it's not on it.

However, I'm also at a loss for simply doing what you're looking for. It sounds easy enough.