5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2018 10:04 AM by George Eiben

Opening NX files in SW2017

John Newman

I see 2017 is supposed to open native NX files.  Does anyone have experience doing this?  How well does it work?  I often get some modeling done outside and he uses NX.  Usually STP files work well but every now and again the solids come in as surface bodies with gaps and they don't repair well.  When this happens a parasolid file usually solves the problem but they come in as assemblies rather than a part. 

Opening them as native NX files would be nice.

• Re: Opening NX files in SW2017
          Bob Van Dick

John,

I am running SW2017 SP1.0.  I haven't had an occasion to try to open a NX file, so I went to grabcad and downloaded a NX10 model.  It came in as a blank screen with no errors showing.  I then downloaded a NX9 file and it opened fine.  I don't know if the file version made the difference or if it was just the way it was uploaded into grabcad.

Bob

I just downloaded another NX10 model, same thing, blank screen.  Beginning to think it may be a version thing.....I would investigate further if you are basing your decision whether to upgrade to SW2017 or not on the ability to do this....

Bill Toft

Do a search in SolidWorks 2017 help for NX:

SOLIDWORKS 3D Interconnect

This functionality is currently available in SOLIDWORKS 2017 as Beta functionality. 3D Interconnect replaces SOLIDWORKS current translation capabilities with new technology and workflows for working with third-party native CAD data in SOLIDWORKS 2017.

You can perform the following:

• Insert proprietary CAD data directly into a SOLIDWORKS assembly without converting it to a SOLIDWORKS file.
            • Open the proprietary 3D CAD format in the SOLIDWORKS software with its associative link to the original part.
            • Update changes in the SOLIDWORKS file if you update the proprietary CAD data in its authoring application by maintaining all downstream features created in SOLIDWORKS.
            • Break the link of the inserted part file with the original part file.

The following formats and their versions are supported in 3D Interconnect:

• CATIA® V5: .CATPart, .CATProduct for V5R8 – 5–6R2016
            • Autodesk® Inventor: .ipt for V6 – V2016, .iam for V11 – V2016
            • PTC®: .prt, .prt.*, .asm, .asm.* for Pro/ENGINEER® 16 – Creo 3.0
            • Solid Edge®: .par, .asm, .psm for V18 – ST8
            • NX™ software: .prt for UG 11 – NX 10
            CATIA® V5 is available with SOLIDWORKS Premium license.

John Newman

I just opened 7 prt files that when sent to me as stp files had issues.  6 of the 7 opened either with no issues or import diagnostics repaired them easily.  The last one opened but the there was no part there. 

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi John, in SolidWorks 2017, make sure you have the 3D Interconnect functionality enabled from your system options. See the attached screenshot.

Thanks

Prasad