I am running SW2017 SP1.0. I haven't had an occasion to try to open a NX file, so I went to grabcad and downloaded a NX10 model. It came in as a blank screen with no errors showing. I then downloaded a NX9 file and it opened fine. I don't know if the file version made the difference or if it was just the way it was uploaded into grabcad.
I just downloaded another NX10 model, same thing, blank screen. Beginning to think it may be a version thing.....I would investigate further if you are basing your decision whether to upgrade to SW2017 or not on the ability to do this....
Do a search in SolidWorks 2017 help for NX:
SOLIDWORKS 3D Interconnect
This functionality is currently available in SOLIDWORKS 2017 as Beta functionality. 3D Interconnect replaces SOLIDWORKS current translation capabilities with new technology and workflows for working with third-party native CAD data in SOLIDWORKS 2017.
You can perform the following:
- Insert proprietary CAD data directly into a SOLIDWORKS assembly without converting it to a SOLIDWORKS file.
- Open the proprietary 3D CAD format in the SOLIDWORKS software with its associative link to the original part.
- Update changes in the SOLIDWORKS file if you update the proprietary CAD data in its authoring application by maintaining all downstream features created in SOLIDWORKS.
- Break the link of the inserted part file with the original part file.
The following formats and their versions are supported in 3D Interconnect:
- CATIA® V5: .CATPart, .CATProduct for V5R8 – 5–6R2016
- Autodesk® Inventor: .ipt for V6 – V2016, .iam for V11 – V2016
- PTC®: .prt, .prt.*, .asm, .asm.* for Pro/ENGINEER® 16 – Creo 3.0
- Solid Edge®: .par, .asm, .psm for V18 – ST8
CATIA® V5 is available with SOLIDWORKS Premium license.
- NX™ software: .prt for UG 11 – NX 10
I just opened 7 prt files that when sent to me as stp files had issues. 6 of the 7 opened either with no issues or import diagnostics repaired them easily. The last one opened but the there was no part there.