3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 3:56 AM by Richard Bremmer

Delay switching from part to assembly window.

Bruce Sandig

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum for these kind of questions, so please correct me if wrong. Here goes anyway:

In SW 2017,  with a small assembly opened (fast), when I open one of the parts in the assembly and modify something and then switch back to the assembly window, there is a significant delay of around 10 seconds. The assembly displays as it was when I switched to the part window, is not updated to reflect the changes made to the part, the menu bar in the display area is not shown, and any mouse clicks result in a beep. After about 10 seconds, the menu bar appears, all changes are updated, and things work as normal

I haven't seen this before in previous version, and it's really slowing me down. Again, this is a very simple, small assembly and I never saw this behavior in SW 2016.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• Re: Delay switching from part to assembly window.
          Richard Bremmer

I have seen this before, there should be a message box asking if you want to rebuild the assembly that will take 10s to auto dismiss.

Try disabling all your "don't ask me again" questions. If that doesn't help load a settings file from a colleague.

Bruce Sandig

Thank you Richard!

Now here's the next related question: It turns out the dialog box that was waiting to be clicked is somehow hidden, perhaps off screen, or behind the SW window. So when I switch to an assembly and that pesky delay, I hit enter, which must be clicking the dialog since it does whatever it was waiting for.

Long story short, I kill the delay by hitting enter. Do you know of any setting that makes these dialog boxes always appear on top or on screen?

Bruce

Richard Bremmer

It should be on top by default, sometimes you can manage this in your videocard driver.

You may also want try:

1. connecting a second display
                  2. use the windows key and left or right key (for moving boxes to another screen).
                  3. <alt>+<tab>
                  4. <alt>+<space> and than <m> (Maximize a Window From the Keyboard | PCWorld )

It might also be a corruption in your windows registry (the solidworks part, probably HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\Solidworks 2016\User Interface). But it will be hard if not impossible to find that particular box.

If you backup the key, you can than close SolidWorks, delete the key\folder and restart SolidWorks it will recreate the key with default settings.