8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 1:30 PM by Christina Seay

PDMWE API setvar question...

Christina Seay
      I'm trying to do a setvar to set a variable value on a folder card.

This is the part of my code that sets the variable:

**********************************************************************************************
      CopiedFolderPath = vault.GetFolderFromPath(vault.RootFolderPath + "\Astec Purchased Parts\" + PartNumber + "\")
      CopiedFolderID = CopiedFolderPath.ID

Dim SetVarfile As IEdmFolder5
      Dim varEnum As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8
      SetVarfile = vault.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_Folder, CopiedFolderID)
      varEnum = SetVarfile.GetEnumeratorVariable
      varEnum.SetVar("Project Number", "", PartNumber)

*********************************************************************************************

I'm getting this error:
      Public member 'GetEnumeratorVariable' on type 'IEdmFolder6' not found.

On this line:

Does anyone know why I'm getting that error?
        • PDMWE API setvar question...
          Michael Dekoning
          You declared SetVarfile as an IEdmFolder5 and there is not a GetEnumeratorVariable method for this interface. Did you mean to use IEdmFile5?
            Christina Seay
            No... I'm trying to set a variable on a Folder Card... is there not a way to do that?
              varEnum = SetVarfile. That's all you need.
                Christina Seay
                Ok... I tried that and now I'm getting a new error... here's what I've got now:
                **************************************************************************************

Dim SetVarfolder As IEdmFolder5
                Dim varEnumfolder As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8
                SetVarfolder = vault.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_Folder, CopiedFolderID)
                varEnumfolder = SetVarfolder
                varEnumfolder.SetVar("Project Number", "@", PartNumber)
                varEnumfolder.CloseFile(True)

**************************************************************************************

Error message:
                InvalidCastException was handled
                Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'EdmLib.IEdmEnumeratorVariable8'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{183B3576-3408-401D-946D-ED3A8E8B207D}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

*******************************************************************************************

Error is on this line:

*******************************************************************************************

Any thoughts?
                  Christina Seay
                  And just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread looking for how to do a setvar... I do have it working for setting a variable on a FILE card with this code in vb.net:
                  ***************************************************************************************************
                  (The user is entering PartNumber in a field on the form)
                  ***************************************************************************************************
                  CopiedFilePath = vault.GetFileFromPath(vault.RootFolderPath + "\Astec Purchased Parts\" + PartNumber.Text + "\" + PartNumber.Text + filetype)
                  CopiedFileId = CopiedFilePath.ID

Dim SetVarfile As IEdmFile5
                  Dim varEnum As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8
                  SetVarfile = vault.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_File, CopiedFileId)
                  varEnum.SetVar("Project Number", "@", PartNumber)
                  varEnum.CloseFile(True)

**********************************************************************************************

When I get it working with a folder, I'll post that code back up in here too. You never can have too many examples when you're trying to learn how to do something new.
                    Christina Seay
                    Ok... finally figured it out... same thing.. the ProjectNumber is coming from a field on the form:
                    *************************************************************************************************************

CopiedFolderPath = vault.GetFolderFromPath(vault.RootFolderPath + "\Astec Purchased Parts\" + PartNumber + "\")
                    CopiedFolderID = CopiedFolderPath.ID

Dim SetVarfolder As IEdmFolder6
                    Dim varEnumfolder As IEdmEnumeratorVariable6
                    SetVarfolder = vault.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_Folder, CopiedFolderID)
                    varEnumfolder.SetVar("Project Number", "", PartNumber)

******************************************************************************************************************

I did as Lee suggested and removed:
                    .GetEnumeratorVariable

But I also had to change:
                    Dim SetVarfolder As IEdmFolder5
                    Dim varEnumfolder As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8

To:
                    Dim SetVarfolder As IEdmFolder6
                    Dim varEnumfolder As IEdmEnumeratorVariable6

And remove:
                    varEnumfolder.CloseFile(True)

Apparently you only have to call the .CloseFile method for files and not for folders.

*****************************************************************************************************

Thanks everyone for your help in figuring this out!!!! I hope someone else will find this code helpful.
                      Jeff Sweeney
                      Thanks for posting your results. I love code snippets!
                        Christina Seay
                        Me too!! You really never can have enough examples of code.

You know what.. that's what we should do... set up a thread of nothing but code snippets... that'd be fabulous... lol