10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 4:58 PM by Ben Guenther

Can you Mirror a sketch ?

Ben Guenther
      Hi,
      I having been playing around and I can't seem to figure out how to mirror a sketch. I have 2 parts 1 on each side of the Front Plane so I would like to make a sketch on 1 one of the parts that would just be converted lines and take that sketch and mirror it over the Front Plane and create a cut extrude from it on the part opposite the the part that the first reference sketch was created on. Anyone know if this is possible ? Thanks
        • Can you Mirror a sketch ?
          Tony Cantrell
          make the original sketch entities for construction. to mirror them use a construction line not a plane.
              Troy Peterson
              There should be a mirror sketch icon in your sketch toolbar it looks like a bell with a center line.
                  Ben Guenther
                  Thanks for the replies, but I do not want to mirror within a sketch. I want to do the same thing as when you mirror a component, just with a sketch.

Part 1 is on a 135 degree angle from the Front Plane and Part2 is also on a 135 degree angle, so part1 & 2 are 90 degrees from each other and part1 has a design that I want part 2 to have so I created a reference sketch on part1 and now need to mirror the whole sketch to part 2 so I can have the same design on part2. Can I do that with the bell with a center line ?
                Charles Culp
                Create a new sketch. use "convert entities" on the old sketch, and then set all the lines to "construction" then you can mirror them all within that new sketch.
                    Ben Guenther
                    Charles,
                    I cannot use convert entities because the face with the first sketch is not parellel to the face where the new sketch is going. I have attached a small video demonstrating what I am trying to accomplish, have a look and see what you think
                        Mark Kaiser
                        So it doesn't really look like mirror sketch is going to work for you, it looks more like you're trying to mirror a feature, which is an option also. I can't tell from the video, but is the part totally symmetric? What about building half the part and mirroring that body? You can mirror bodies also, just another thought.
                            Ben Guenther
                            Yes I guess it would be mirroring a feature if a sketch is a feature but as far as I know you cannot mirror a sketch feature, can you ?

When I try to mirror the sketch like I would any other feature it does not let me select it.

Yes mirroring the part would work but I don't want both parts to be exactly the same the will be a little bit of difference between the 2.
                                Mark Kaiser
                                A sketch isn't a feature you can mirror, sketch entities you can mirror inside a sketch, or as others previously mentioned, you can convert sketch entities from one sketch to another, then mirror, then make the converted sketch entities into construction geometry.

I thought possibly you could mirror the cut feature you used.

Another option you might look into is projected curves, you can project skecthes onto faces using this tool. Check it out.
                          Charles Culp
                          There are two ways to do this. First way is to use the "mirror feature/face/body" command. That is the way I suggest.

The second way is to create a new plane where you want the mirrored sketch to go. Then create a new sketch on that plane, but make it a derived sketch. The easiest way to create a derived sketch is to hold down the CTRL key, while dragging the old sketch to the new plane. Then, if you need that mirrored, you can, using the tools I discussed above.