3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 3:48 PM by Steve Ostrovsky

custom hatch patterns in pdm

Michael Greenwood

My company is running SW 2017 Premium & PDM 2017 Pro.  I would like to have all my users be able to have access to the same hatch patterns.  Is there a way to manage the sldwks.ptn file through the PDM?

• Re: custom hatch patterns in pdm
          Steve Ostrovsky

Sure thing. It's a simple library type file so I would create a Library folder with its own Workflow (single state should be enough to get started) and Data Card and throw all of it in there. Use Group permissions to restrict who has write access and if their local cache will get refreshed (nice to Library files on your local drive).

I've seen some users go all out and have part numbers and descriptions in their libraries so it's on you how far you want to go.

Michael Greenwood

Thanks for the reply Steve.  That definitely helps. Maybe I should have posed this question in a different area, though.  I am looking to set up SW to look in the vault location for the .ptn file once it is checked into the vault.

I am trying to get all my vault users to use the same .ptn file across each of the different client machines.

Steve Ostrovsky

I thought there was a way to define where to have SolidWorks look for hatch patterns, but apparently there isn't. You need to contact your VAR and ask them submit a service request and have you attached to:

SPR 881681 'Ability to customize location of hatch patterns file via System Options > File Locations'

If there are enough hits on the SPR then development will take a closer look at it.