5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 9:49 AM by Michael Dekoning

Managing AutoCAD File References?

John Steensen

Good morning. We are finally about to be using SolidWorks EPDM as our PDM tool. We have 20 years of legacy data that needs to be imported. The Legacy Data includes SolidWorks, AutoCAD and PDF flat files. We are planning on importing it as we revise drawings to keep the front end cost and impact to schedules down.

My question is, how can I manually link AutoCAD and PDF files to NHA in SolidWorks so the contents (with appropriately completed datacards) appear in AutoBOMs, and show the appropriate links in contains and where used?

I should mention that this is going to be no small undertaking. Currently, even our SolidWorks data is pack and go'd on a per drawing basis, so we will have to manually relink drawings and remove duplicate parts as we pull in the higher level assemblies.

• Re: Managing AutoCAD File References?
          Craig Schultz

Might want to look into paste as reference for the ACAD/PDF linking.

So you have duplicate names for SW parts/drawings/assy's included in your PnG files?

John Steensen

Craig Schultz

Will do, thank you.

And yes. We do. Unfortunately, parametric modelling was not understood previously. It was treated as almost an extension of ACAD. I am working on ensuring that all persons involved with SolidWorks get the appropriate training to remedy this.

A follow on question as related to AutoBOM - Currently the ACAD files have integrated PLs on the face of the drawing. Would there be any way to break those out so EPDM can recognize them and include it? Even if the items only exist as a datacard?

Michael Dekoning

John,

What we've done for some of our legacy DWG files is to read the parts list block attributes (Quantity and Part Number), and using a custom program, link the "component" files to the assembly. This gives you a BOM in PDM. Of course, the information in the DWG P/L must be correct and the files must be in the vault. If you don't have all of the DWG files in the vault yet, this process could be extended to create virtual documents for the missing files to be replaced in the future.

David Heverin

John,

Been there, done that.  I recommend that you simply "tear off the Band-Aid" and perform a mass import of your legacy data into SOLIDWORKS PDM.  If you have not done so already, read the administration documentation and study your existing engineering processes.  This is critical. I think that most will agree that the best path forward is to have all of your workflows, templates and cards set up in SW PDM first.  Then import your legacy data into a migration folder that will capture as much metadata from it as possible.  Once that is done, you can move the appropriate documents into the desired workflows.

Also, lean on your VAR.  Many offer programs where they will perform this service for you at your direction.