4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 11:32 AM by Eric Kelly

4k Hisense 42" Monitor with 2 LG 23" monitors Display problem

Eric Kelly

I am running a 42" main monitor with 2 23" monitors, one on each side.  I draft every day and this started today.  None the less, I was crazy upset when this started happening and could find no other link online to the problem.  Does anyone have any thoughts or has anyone seen this problem in the past?  The dropdown menus all do this on my 23" monitors now and same with the empty right click menus.  If I unplug the 4k monitor, it goes away.  Could it be the Nvidia control panel, or ?  I also noticed that on the secondary monitors, sometimes the mouse pointer becomes a bunch of vertical bars.  If I right click on the desktop and refresh, the pointer issue goes away.  Could they be related.  I have an nvidia - solidworks approved card, BTW.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

• Re: 4k Hisense 42" Monitor with 2 LG 23" monitors Display problem
          Dave Laban

You mention you have an approved graphics card - do you also have the approved driver installed?

• Re: 4k Hisense 42" Monitor with 2 LG 23" monitors Display problem
            Kevin Berni

Hi Eric,

This is likely a bug.  Can you go to Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution and post a screenshot of your display layout?  If the tops of the monitors are not aligned, the following bug might be the problem.

If you don't mind contacting your reseller, tell them to add you to SPR998616 - Menus get drawn cut off (behind chevrons) when using dual displays that are offset vertically.  You will then get notified when its fixed, and you'll also add some weight to its ranking against other SPRs.

The issue has to do with how we calculate where the overflow expansion arrow gets placed.  Currently, this is calculated from the height of the main monitor, but it doesn't take into account that you can offset the tops of each of the monitors against each other. 

One possible workaround is to make your monitor with the most vertical pixels the main display, and then make sure the tops of all the monitors are aligned in the Screen Resolution settings Control Panel window shown above.  This will probably screw up the continuity of moving the mouse cursors between screens, but it should stop the menus from being drawn truncated like this.