6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 4:48 PM by Paul Wyndham

    Invalid Argument to the method - Exporting entire vault

    Adam Johnson

      I've searched and came across a few similar issues, but they seem to be based on exporting a single workflow. I'm getting then error as I try to export the entire vault.

       

      The error pops up numerous time, before finally getting an error, Archive server connection timed out. I'm sure the fix is similar to what i've already read, but i'm just not sure how to troubleshoot the issue and find what could be causing it.

        • Re: Invalid Argument to the method - Exporting entire vault
          Steve Ostrovsky

          I think this is similar to something I ran into a while back. Look for a state that has a Deleted user in the Permissions and Notifications area. Remove that user and you should be able to export the workflow.

            • Re: Invalid Argument to the method - Exporting entire vault
              Adam Johnson

              I apopogize I didn't mention that im working in 2014. This work im doing it in prep for moving to 2017, and proper software validation, prior to the upgrade.

               

              Thanks for the help. I believe I understand what your saying. I'll need to review the states within the workflows (which are very many in our case) Then check the permissions and notification tabs at each state for deleted users. As far as our states go, EVERY user is in a different Group and we have multiple groups per state, so we add groups to the state permissions, not individual users. The only user added alone is the Admin. So I believe this will be a bit of a task to track down.

               

              How do you know if a state has a 'deleted user'?

                • Re: Invalid Argument to the method - Exporting entire vault
                  Steve Ostrovsky

                  Yeah, that's the fun part. I had to go through 40 or so States to find the uses that were deleted. I would show you a screen shot of it but 2017 seems to have removed even showing the user now. You will see the user with a (Deleted) next to it if memory serves - I've mocked it up in the screen shot below.

                   

                   

                  You can also run this SQL query to get a list of all your users even the ones that were deleted so you know what to look for.

                   

                  select distinct U.Username, U.UserID, U.fullname as [User Full Name], G.Groupname as [Group Name], G.GroupID as [Group ID]

                  from Groups G, Users U, GroupMembers GM, Projects P

                  where G.GroupID = GM.GroupID

                  and U.UserID = GM.UserID

                  and P.ProjectID = GM.ProjectID

                  order by Username

                  • Re: Invalid Argument to the method - Exporting entire vault
                    Charley Saint

                    You can try exporting each section individually and you should see the error when you hit the right one. Also you can check the log file in the admin tool and it'll usually give you a pretty good indication of what went wrong. I've seen it happen when trying to export workflows or templates. Workflows can be notifications to deleted groups or users like Steve said or transition conditions that use deleted variables. Templates that use files that have been deleted or template variables that got renamed or deleted can also do this. Or it could be something really out there, if you see something in the log that doesn't make sense you can post it here and we can help out.

                • Re: Invalid Argument to the method - Exporting entire vault
                  Adam Johnson

                  Thanks for all the suggestions. We're working though some of them now. Big help!

                  • Re: Invalid Argument to the method - Exporting entire vault
                    Paul Wyndham

                    Since this is SW EPDM 2014 it has the issues with populating the list of users when there are a lot of them.

                    I tried expanding the list on the Left column and of course wait for 10 minutes for that to dropdown.

                    Then, when I exported the vault it exported without any errors.

                     

                     

                    I realized after posting this that I had be testing the export of one of the workflows. When exporting it without the user expanded it errored out. After expanding the users I accidentally exported the single workflow again. When exporting the entire vault it errors out.