10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 3:40 PM by Prasad Bhonsule

PDM Standard and Multiple Versions of SolidWorks

Paul Brayford

My company currently makes use of six versions of SolidWorks to keep aligned with what version our customers are using; 2011 SP5.0 through 2016 SP5.0. For revision control, we currently have six separate virtual servers running separate Workgroup PDM vaults, one to match each version of SolidWorks.

For SolidWorks 2017, I want to move to PDM Standard since we'll need to for 2018 anyway. Luckily I can leave all of the existing data where it is - all older versions will keep their respective data in their respective Workgroup PDM vaults. There won't be any migration of existing data, 2017 will start with a clean slate and an empty PDM vault.

That said, I'm confused as to how PDM Standard will work for multiple versions of SolidWorks moving forward (when we're running 2017, 2018, and 2019, etc). Namely, the PDM Standard tools (the administrative tool and the SolidWorks add-in) don't appear to be tied to any specific year anymore (the add-in is just "PDM Client" whereas Workgroup was "Workgroup PDM 2015", etc).

Will PDM Standard still allow us to install the PDM Server on unique virtual servers specific to that version year, or how do we adapt our current setup onto PDM Standard?

• Re: PDM Standard and Multiple Versions of SolidWorks
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hello Paul, with SolidWorks and PDM, SolidWorks cannot be ahead or newer than PDM, eg you cannot use SolidWorks 2018 with PDM 2017.

PDM Standard even more specifically, only supports the current version of SolidWorks so for example PDM Standard 2017 will ONLY work with SolidWorks 2017.

Whereas PDM Professional 2017 will work with SolidWorks 2017, 2016 and 2015 (officially supported). Older versions of SolidWorks (2014 etc) would probably work but are not supported by SolidWorks support.

Hope this helps

Prasad

Paul Brayford

Hi Prasad,

Thanks for the response!

I'm still unclear as to whether PDM Standard will allow multiple versions to run concurrently. For example, can I have three individual separate virtual servers  - the first running PDM Standard 2017, the second running PDM Standard 2018, and a third running PDM Standard 2019 - and access each matching PDM from a single computer that has SolidWorks 2017, 2018, and 2019 installed? There wouldn't be any crossing of versions - I would only need to access PDM Standard 2017 using SolidWorks 2017, PDM Standard 2018 using SolidWorks 2018, and PDM Standard 2019 using SolidWorks 2019 , but the SolidWorks versions would all be installed on the same computer. Workgroup PDM currently works for us in this way.

Thank you!
              Paul

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Paul, no worries! Ahh that makes it a little bit clearer. While I have never tried that setup before with PDM Standard that should work fine. The only thing you need to ensure is that your SolidNetwork License Manager which your PDM Standard licenses will come from is at the highest level ie SW 2019 in your example above.

Kind regards

Prasad