2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 10:36 AM by Chris Bates

Error with Static Thermal Study

Chris Bates

I am running a simple static study to assess the thermal expansion of a part, however the study always stops and I keep getting an error: "Thermal expansion coefficient (Alphx) is not defined for element 1". I have run the same simulation with the same material on a different part and it worked without error, so I assume that the geometry of the part is causing the problem. Can anyone help me identify what I need to look for to solve this issue?

I am using SW 2015 SP 5.0.

• Re: Error with Static Thermal Study
          Janko Stellaard

S-070601

Why am I getting the error "Thermal expansion coefficient (alphx) is not defined for element XXXX Check Material" even when the Thermal Expansion Coefficient is defined?

A. Symptom

When running a Thermal analysis or a Static analysis with thermal loads, the error "Thermal expansion coefficient (alphx) is not defined for element XXXX Check Material" appears and the solver stops.

It happens even though the Thermal Expansion Coefficient is defined for the used material.

B. Cause

This situation commonly appears when a custom material was used and assigned to an specific part before defining the Thermal Expansion Coefficient for this material.

Afterwards even if you have the same material with the Thermal Expansion Coefficient properly defined in your library, when the model with the old customized material stored is open SOLIDWORKS® will add this material to the custom library with the same name but difference instance, creating a mismatch.

C. Solution

In order to check what material was stored on the model, you can follow this steps:

1. RMB Click on any of the bodies and click 'Details'

The material and properties applied for this part are displayed on a pop up window.

2. Click on the thumbtack button.

It will fix the pop up window, so it is possible to go quickly through all parts and check them.

3. Check all parts to find out what materials have missing properties.

To replace the old material without the ALPX with the new material with the ALPX:

1. Assign a standard material to the part (Alloy steel for instance)

2. Assign the custom material they want from the material database.

You can check that the ALPX is present by accessing the Details dialog box once again.