21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2017 8:16 AM by Scott Ellery

How to animate a configuration change?

Bill Toft

I want to do a simple animation in Visualize 2017 SP1 Professional: I have a flange assembly with 2 configurations. One has plain holes and the other has threaded holes. In my animation, I zoom in to get a closeup of the threaded holes, then I change to the other configuration (plain holes). My goal is to show a 1 second transition (threads to no threads).

I set up a key frame to show the Thread configuration, then copied it to the start of the transition. I move to the end of the transition and switched to SolidWorks and chose the plain configuration. I was prompted to update the model & I did.

But now, when I play the animation, the model shows as plain holes throughout.

I thought placing a key frame would capture the state of the SW model at that point in time?

Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

• Re: How to animate a configuration change?
          Scott Ellery

Hi Bill ,

this is not currently possible with Visualize although it is a great enhancement request , when you utilize CAD live update it is updating all geometry in visualize including all geometry captured in Key Frames.

an alternative is to get creative, you could import the two configurations as separate models in the same project and then use the new option for transparency to make everything you don't want to see transparent and have the threads animate in from 100 to 0 transparency when the time is right. this will bloat your file size and it may take longer to render.

alternativley you could capture the animation areas as separate animations and then splice them together in a post-processing program like adobe premiere or camtasia.

Bill Toft

Hi Scott,

I am using the SolidWorks to Visualize add-in.

I tried 2 configs of the part (threads & no threads), mated on top of each other, then fading them in/out over a 1 sec period. Problem was that when it got imported, the 2 overlapping surfaces gave a triangulated appearance in Visualize.

So I changed the model to have the flange-no holes as one config. and the threads (only) as the other config. With the 2 parts mated on top of each other. Then in the animation I faded out the threads-only config. Now when I export it ti Visualize, all looks good.

In Visualize, I can see the Opacity setting change from 0 to 100 over that 1 second. (This was done by the SolidWorks import). In the screen shot Flange-1 is the main flange & Flange-2 is the threads only part. At the 10:47 mark, the Opacity of the part shows 0.54, but when I click on the Bronze appearance shows Opacity = 1.00

But when I run the animation, I see that the "fade" over 1 second actually happens over 1 frame (visible in frame 47 & gone in frame 48). So at the halfway mark of the 1 sec. fade.

Is that a bug in the SolidWorks Export?

If so, what are the right settings to adjust to get that fade?

Thanks.

Bill Toft

I see the other attachments didn't get loaded.

Scott Ellery

try previewing in accurate mode ,

you will only see transparency animation in accurate mode as of now, the development team are aware of this not sure if we are going to see any enhancement in SP2 to allow us to use fast mode as well.

Bill Toft

Hi Scott,

Yes I discovered the difference between Fast & Accurate mode when I sent my animation to the render queue last night with Accurate set to 500 passes.  Pleasantly surprised to see the threads fade out the way I wanted.

To show the comparison, I did a quick video to show Fast vs Accurate rendering of the same motion study.

I must say I am now very impressed with the 2017 linkage between SolidWorks & Visualize.

Scott Ellery

Glad it worked out ,

I agree it is incredibly powerful to have the link between the CAD design tool and the Render tool , not sure if you are going to be attending SOLIDWORKS world but I will be doing a hands on session that will take a deeper dive into some the crazy things you can do with the new 2017 functionality including transparencies and motion study exports.

Bill Toft

Hi Scott,

As a freelancer, my CFO (a.k.a. my wife) has not approved my travel request for SolidWorks World. Maybe next year.

A couple of questions:

1. To simplify the setup in Visualize of a SolidWorks file, I would like to use a Visualize scene in PhotoView 360. Can I just edit System Options > File Locations > Custom Scenes and add the folder for SolidWorks Visualize Content (Environments & Plates)?

2. I'd like to do the same for Appearances (so that I don't have to manually apply a Visualize appearance to replace the imported PhotoView appearance) but I think the file formats are different. Is there a way to convert an .svap file to .p2m format?

Thanks

Scott Ellery

for the environment you shouldn't have a problem as Photoview 360 and Visualize both use HDR environments

as for the materials

I do not think this is currently possible but a great enhancement request ,

it would save a ton of time to be able to apply the material at the SOLIDWORKS level and not have to worry about changing it once exporting out to visualize

Bill Toft

Because Visualize uses iRay technology which is different (better?) than Modo, it makes sense to keep the two separated.

As an enhancement, I see two options:

1. Visualize import looks at the names assigned to the SolidWorks appearances, then substitutes the Visualize appearance with the same name. Then, if no match, it works as it does now. This would require the SolidWorks user to copy PhotoView appearances & rename them to match the Visualize appearance they want used.

2. Visualize sets up a "translation table" that lists the names of all the imported appearances. The user can then specify the Visualize appearance to use as a substitution. This table will then be used for future imports. With each new import there will be fewer & fewer appearance that need this manual mapping.

What's the right procedure to make this an official enhancement request?

Brian Hillner

Hi Bill,

To submit an official Enhancement Request, sign into your SW Customer Portal and the click "My ERs" link. Then click the small 'New' button on the next page and follow the steps.

Can you please tell me what appearances aren't importing correctly into Visualize? All SW appearance types have been mapped to the corresponding Visualize appearances...so glass in SW = glass in Visualize; metal in SW = metal in Visualize; etc. We also support all texture mapping from SW files.

Thanks,

Brian

Bill Toft

Hi Brian,

When you say SW appearances have been mapped to Visualize, how is it done?

As an experiment, I renamed a bronze metal PhotoView appearance (.p2m) as Red Acrylic (a Visualize appearance name), then imported it to Visualize.When I looked at the appearance in Visualize, it still had that bronze metal appearance. I was hoping that Visualize would have seen the name "Red Acrylic" and substituted the Visualize appearance with that name instead of using the SolidWorks appearance.

My feeling is that Visualize has "better" appearances and it would be a real time-saver if there was a way for us (in SolidWorks) to tell Visualize what Visualize appearance we want to end up with. In effect it would save us the step of replacing the imported SolidWorks appearances, one at a time, with our desired Visualize appearance.