27 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 8:35 AM by Rick Becker

Draw new part in assembly solidworks 2017?

Justin Reed

How do I draw a new part within a assembly? I prefer to do it this way rather then draw it outside of an assembly. Thanks!

• Re: Draw new part in assembly solidworks 2017?
          JOHN GEORGE

When you are in assembly, you can insert new part as shown below

A new part in added into the assembly

Now you can edit this part in assembly context.

Solid Air

Does John's post answer your question or are you asking about virtual parts?

Justin Reed

I am new to Solidworks been using an ancient software called CadKey. Not sure what a virtual part is. I will look that up and see if it is a more viable option to what I am trying to do. Thanks for the response. Also if you kbnow of a great place to learn designing techniques that would be a great help. I can only seem to find info on how to make a part and assembly. Not anything involving them together.

Solid Air

If you are new to SolidWorks, I do not recommend trying to do in-context/top down design right away.  I would do as John suggests and work through the tutorials and examples here first.

Glenn Schroeder

Justin Reed wrote:

Not sure what a virtual part is.

A virtual Part is just a Part that exists only inside the Assembly, and not as a separate Part file.

Solid Air

Glenn,

That is only true when the assembly is closed.  When the assembly is open,  SolidWorks creates a separate part file in a VC (virtual component) folder.

Solid Air

Here is what you see when you do a File>Find References...

It looks like the file is saved internally.  However, open SolidWorks Rx to find the location of your Windows temp folder.

Browse out to that folder and do a search for VC; it will be in one of the many swx folders found there.  And when you look inside you will find the virtual file.

Dave Bear

Hi Glenn,

I too am a tad confused about virtual parts. What would be an example of a virtual part? Where would you need a part that was only ever needed inside an assembly but never saved as a part file?

Dave.

Solid Air

Dave,

Before we were told not to use them at my work, I had envisioned them being used for items that do not get part numbers.  One example is a covering (like rubber) for a roll.  Another is customer supplied parts that are used on equipment being modified.  Also for welds that get machined afterwords.  Concepts is another example.  When we save into PDM a serial number is generated.  When doing concepts, all parts do not make it final production and are discarded.  These would them be wasted numbers.

Glenn Schroeder

Dave,

I use virtual Parts for components that have no reason to exist outside the Assembly (they will never be used in another Assembly, and won't be detailed separately in a Drawing).  The most common are for concrete or cables.

Glenn

Edit:  I mentioned two criteria above, but just thought of a third.  In addition to never being used in another Assembly and won't be detailed separately, they will also only be used once in the Assembly.  If there are multiple instances then it's a conventional stand-alone Part.

Tom Gagnon

Dave,

Very much like Glenn Schroeder, with same criteria but different examples by trade. Everything depends on what you do with it.

I re-use piping components and electrical components from library, and create commonly customized structural items from flexible library templates such as a base skid or LCP stand. The structural supports (weldments) for the pipe are generated virtual within the assembly because it is only designed to support this (assembly) system which will be fabricated and assembled only once. Likewise, regardless of using Premium Routing license or just some cheaper & simpler weldment features, pipe & tube itself is always generated as virtual and updates with the other components. There are always exceptions, such as an (initially) identical structure copied across similar assemblies within a project, or a close_nipple for NPT pipe, or a minimum_bend piece with defined tool-grasp flats for tube.

Another use case is fluid contained within a tank (or any other vessel). This tank has the overflow here, these other ports or obstructions there, and is filled with chemical x. Realistic properties can effectively give me two weights & centers of gravity: one for shipping/handling it empty, and another for operating (i.e. max systemic live loads).

Edit: We use distinct Part Templates for each case, pipe/tube or steel, pre-populated with a custom property which we use to sort by once it gets to the assembly BOM drawing. Once sorted, they may be hidden from the BOM table, because those details are in other preceding drawings (Fabrication or P&ID) which lead to the assembly stage.

Understanding when you're including something re-usable or customized, and how to cross back and forth between them, is useful with virtual parts.

Rick Becker

Justin Reed wrote:

I am new to Solidworks been using an ancient software called CadKey.

Justin, Keep your Cadkey (Actually I hope you are using KeyCreator) handy. You will find all sorts of uses for it in your new SolidWorks environment. I know I do and I couldn't do my job without it.

I feel your pain as I went from Me10 (on a proprietary HP operating system) to Me10 on UNIX to Cadkey to Keycreator then to SolidWorks.

Everything seems backwards in SolidWorks until you get a good grasp of it.

My recommendation is don't use virtual parts for a couple of years (yes years), unless you have an experienced virtual parts user sitting at the next desk. At first, make separate parts and mate them in an assembly.

What kind of work are you designing?

Good Luck.

Rick

Justin Reed

Yes it seems very backwards. Just so used to the freedom of Cadkey. Considered getting key creator and may still do that. I design automated woodworking machines for various fields and applications.

I actually just went back to designing in cadkey and will just rebuild it in solidworks for the ease of revisions and modifications.

I am just too used to doing layouts then turning that into parts. Can't design a part when I don't know what everything else will look like. I start these machines from a blank screen.

Any other advice for getting used to solidworks. Ive done the tutorials and does not seem like it had all the info I need. May need a class or someone willing to sit with me that's a pro with solidworks.

Thanks for the response.

Rick Becker

Justin,

First off, Yes, please take the "Essentials" class at your VAR.

I was given Solidworks and started with the tutorials in the help section. Got thru all of them. Thought I was hot stuff and I could make a block and put some holes in it.

Then, thankfully, I attended 4 classes in a 2 month span starting with Essentials (Drawings, Sheet Metal, Weldments).

Justin, I had no idea what I didn't know (still don't really).

Your business is a bit different from mine (Contract Job Shop / tools, dies, jigs, fixtures). However, we all just put lines and arcs on a piece of paper. The same thing only different.

IMHO, The #1 difference between history based (SolidWorks) and Free Form (KeyCreator) modeling, that you need to be aware of is you must design with the intension of changes in history based systems.

Here's what I mean by that...

In free form modeling start with a primitive shape (any shape will do). First, add/stretch/move a bunch of stuff. Next, remove a bunch of stuff (cut/drill/subtract). Now see how it fits. Not even close? No problem. Just start add/stretch/move/cut/drill/subtract to your hearts content. You will end up with a perfectly usable model.

In history based modeling start with a real good idea of what the final shape needs to be. Image all the part that will interact with this part. Now, also image all the changes your boss/manager/customer/yourself will/may want after seeing the finished product. Got that all swimming in your head? Good. Now you can start modeling, making sure you have accounted for every possible change, develop your part and dimension everything in such a way that any of the said changes will be easy and won't blow-up your tree.

We will leave blowing-up your tree for another day.

I will end this how I started this Justin. Take training classes. Nothing is as good or as quick. Don't be afraid to pepper your VAR with lots of questions (they really love that).

Rick

Maha Nadarasa

In what situation you have to decide to create a new part in assembly?

One situation I can imagine is if a new part does not have any dimensions and correctly fit into assembly, it is helpful to create that new part in assembly.   

Paul Risley

Since virtual parts are mentioned, if you are new @ Solidworks I highly recommend staying away from virtual parts with any in-context relations. The biggest issue I have seen is circular building and multi-dependency issues with people who do not understand the software and or struggle with in-context definition. Just a heads up to any one trying to tackle it.

John Stoltzfus

Perfect response Paul Risley - Understanding SW -

Justin Reed - It is simple to draw, boss extrude, cut extrude, fillet etc.... Where it becomes more of a challenge is to learn how SolidWorks operates and behaves under certain conditions.  The biggest goal for any one of us SW users is to create a model that is easy to change without having adverse effects on the other pcs in the assembly.  If you can just take a day, a week or whatever time you need and search and read, there is more to modeling a ball, you have to control the bounce...