11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 7:38 PM by Rick McDonald

Small Suggestions for making Top Ten Voting Easier

Dennis Dohogne

@forum_moderators

If you could do a few of these things it would make our navigation and voting for the top ten list much easier and therefore more effective:

1. Provide additional sort options such as

a. My Bookmarked Ideas

b. Ideas I have not Bookmarked

c. Ideas I have not voted on

d. Ideas by people I follow

2. From the pages showing the lists of ideas we can see this about each idea:

It would be very nice if we had an indication as to whether we have voted for this idea or not.

3. It would also be very nice if we had the option to vote up/down on the ideas on this page without having to dive into them individually.

I'm just offering some suggestions to make life a bit easier on forum users, especially for the voting.

Thanks!

• Re: Small Suggestions for making Top Ten Voting Easier
          Daen Hendrickson

+1 to Dennis' direction.

I found myself repeatedly opening ideas found in subcategories further down the list to see if it was the same one I had just voted on in a previous subcategory. Many of the filters he suggests would also be helpful.

Daen

Dennis Dohogne

I was sure in need of these sort options again today!!

Matthew Lorono and Richard Doyle, I'm not sure who to address this to except you two.  What do you say?  Is there any chance of providing some of these helpful bits?

Thanks!!

- - -Dennis

John Stoltzfus

Trying to navigate the Top 10 in the past was like trying to walk through a swamp, so yeah moderators take Dennis's suggestions to the next level, reality.....  Dennis Dohogne   Take in consideration that there are certain times that more people view the forums then others and also there are certain days that have more traffic then other days.......  If I remember correctly it is between 8:00 am US EST and 1:00pm US EST and if I remember correctly Monday and Tuesday are the top days of the week.

The reason I wanted to mention that is if you post on another time or on another day of the week, there is a good chance that your post will drop to the bottom with not near enough exposure and I think there is something in the same line of thought for the Top Ten Idea forum/thread..

edited

Dennis Dohogne

John Stoltzfus, you are right-on about the timing, but that actually just helps to make my point.  I don't have all the time in the world to navigate the forums and the top ten list, so I'd like to see some simple tools to make it easier, and therefore faster, and therefore more likely that I (and others) will get the most out of our experience.  (I find it hard to call it a 3D experience!)  We get out of it what we put into it.  But it sure would be nice if we didn't have to work so hard doing it!

A word to the forum moderators:  If you make it easy and intuitive more people will contribute and more people will benefit.  You could even rename the forum to something like "Easy Peazy, this forum's a Breazy!"

(Apparently I have already mentally checked out for the Christmas weekend!!)

Jeremy Feist

I would also suggest that a vote on an idea should not bump it to the top of the "recent" list - we are not looking for TRENDING ideas, but GOOD ideas.

Kelvin Lamport

we are not looking for TRENDING ideas, but GOOD ideas.

Well stated, Jeremy Feist

And in a similar vein, get rid of the Sort by score and Sort by most votes options.

In fact, a running tally of the votes need not be shown at all. That would eliminate the "Me too" votes.

Dennis Dohogne

Kelvin Lamport, I agree.  Voting should not be a popularity contest and removing this sort option or even the visibility of the score would help keep it real and on point.

Dennis Dohogne

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

Well stated, Jeremy.

And in a similar vein, get rid of the Sort by score and Sort by most votes options.

In fact, a running tally of the votes need not be shown at all. That would eliminate the "Me too" votes.

I just reread this post.  Moderators, PLEASE remove the visibility of the vote totals.  This does have an influence on the votes, but it should not.  In all other "elections" the votes are all cast before their tally is made public.  Let's do that here for the Top Ten list as well.  It will inherently force the votes to come from a person's own deliberations rather than following a trend or wanting to "vote for a winner".  We want the good best ideas to percolate to the top.

Jim Wilkinson

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

Well stated, Jeremy.

I just reread this post. Moderators, PLEASE remove the visibility of the vote totals. This does have an influence on the votes, but it should not. In all other "elections" the votes are all cast before their tally is made public. Let's do that here for the Top Ten list as well. It will inherently force the votes to come from a person's own deliberations rather than following a trend or wanting to "vote for a winner". We want the good best ideas to percolate to the top.

This is one of the things we dislike most about the current system too....it "leads the witness". But many things about the voting system that you (and we) dislike the most are not in our control because it is part of the forum platform that we use. As I believe has been said earlier by Matt, we are looking at improving these things in the future but it will take time because it is unfortunately not trivial.

Thanks,

Jim

Dennis Dohogne

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

But many things about the voting system that you (and we) dislike the most are not in our control because it is part of the forum platform that we use. As I believe has been said earlier by Matt, we are looking at improving these things in the future but it will take time because it is unfortunately not trivial.

Thanks,

Jim

Understood.  But I (and others here) will continue to offer suggestions for improvements or at least requests for improvements, even if we don't know how to implement them.

I'm a charter user of SWX (and even its predecessor, DesignView).  SWX has ALWAYS been strong at listening to the users.  You'll understand if I feel some of that listening has been lost in recent years.  That's all the more reason I appreciate your contributions here.

We'll keep suggesting, asking, telling, and even complaining.  You (SWX) keep LISTENING and communicating with us and we'll get along just fine.

Rick McDonald

I would add, that when the voting it finished and locked - then (and only then) show the Scores and sort options so we can see what got the most votes and how the voters wanted (or didn't want) different ideas.

Edit:

And make the final (after voting is complete) results available for ALL to see - whether or not the users are on subscription.