5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 10:27 AM by Elmar Klammer

WELD DETAIL

Scott Cole

IS THIS THE CORRECT WELD SYMBOL?

• Re: WELD DETAIL
          Matthew Lorono

The symbols are the same on This Side and Other Side, but the scenarios are different for each side.  Second, the Other Side isn't exactly directly on the other side, which leads to ambiguity.

Jim Steinmeyer

Scott,

As Matthew said, your symbol shows the same weld on two sides which is not what you want. Also a fillet would not be correct for the "this side" weld as there would not be any perpendicular surfaces after the flair-bevel weld. With the following symbol I have indicated the different welds to be placed on the opposite sides. Two things you were also missing were the weld size and the process for obtaining the flat surface. Depending on what you want from the "this side" weld you can add the grind symbol like I did to have the weld ground smooth, or you can leave the letter off and the welder "should"  fill the bevel and leave a reasonably flat weld untouched. I say "should" because our welders don't know weld symbols and we have to attach notes to tell them what we want. If you want the weld ground smooth you may want to indicate a larger weld to completely fill the gap prior to grinding.

Also in the tail you need to add the "2 PLCS." to indicate the 2 welds.

Capture.PNG

Scott Cole

I don't understand putting the weld size for the bevel flare. the symbol is saying to fill the space and grind flush. where would the 3/16 be in this weld?

Jim Steinmeyer

My understanding, and it may be incorrect, is that the 3/16" is the throat size of the weld. It may be sufficient to omit the size and simply use the flat symbol to have the weld fill the joint. I have always added the throat size for all other welds so i would add it here as well. I will spend some time in my weld book to find an answer.

However this is the reason we have to add notes, many people don't know the correct symbols, and fewer understand them all. Of course an extra clutter of notes is not a valid alternative to education if you can accomplish that.

Elmar Klammer

Hi Scott...

See AWS 1.1 or CSA W59-03 for pre-qualified weld preps...in your case the fillet is omitted. The 3/16 comes from 5/16 * radius of rounded corner.

The factor depends on welding process and can be as high as 5/8. Adding the straight line to the symbol simply means the weld is to be made flush or level by means of grinding or other.

aws

csa