2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2017 7:55 AM by Sam S.

Extremely poor performance on new install

Sam S.

Hi everyone,

I recently built a gaming computer and installed 2016 on it. However, I'm getting really poor performance in Solidworks all around. When working with parts, there is always a slight delay after mouse or keyboard inputs. For example, if I place a smart dimension in a sketch and type in a value, there will be a half second delay before the box pops up and shows the animation of the numbers being typed in. It's still usable, but annoying and enough to slow me down.

When I'm working with assemblies, performance degrades very quickly as the assembly size increases. A small assembly for me is about 20-30 parts, and a large assembly is around 500 max. Small assemblies will start to have complex features "block out" when rotating the view, and slower zooming and general animation. Large assemblies are absolutely unusable. All animations are extremely slow and choppy, and the interface hangs often.

Today I downloaded a simple model of a wire rope and tried to run a static simulation on it. Selecting the 50 circular end faces of each strand, it took about a minute for the animation of each face being selected and turning blue, one at a time, to complete, after I had finished clicking.

I have no idea what could be causing it to run so poorly, there's no abnormal ram, cpu, or gpu usage indicated during these operations, and it's a clean install of Windows and Solidworks.  I'll list my system specs for the record:

i5-4670k

GTX 970

16G ram

SSD

I will note that I'm using Windows Server 2016 (I get a free license for it from my university), but it's basically Windows 10 and it's worked perfectly as a desktop OS otherwise. I know that the GeForce isn't technically a supported GPU, but it should still be more than enough power for these purposes. One of our lab computers is using an old AMD HD4550 and runs the same files miles better than my computer.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

• Re: Extremely poor performance on new install
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Sam,

Note that the Geforce series of cards are not officially supported by SOLIDWORKS.
          But, see this thread which appears to be the same issue:

Slow performance with GTX960m in SW2016

If you look through it, you'll see that the problem appears to be with updates NVIDIA made to their graphics drivers. At the time I'm writing this, it looks like NVIDIA knows about the problem and has made some improvements in their latest drivers, but one person states that installing an older driver has even better performance. You'll have to read the thread for the latest details since it is very active and things may continue to change rapidly as NVIDIA updates drivers or people discover other solutions.

Thanks,

Jim

• Re: Extremely poor performance on new install
              Sam S.

Thanks for the link! It seems like I'm having that same issue. I backdated my driver to 368.69 and the difference is massive. Still not perfect, but about 80% of the way there and the best performance I've seen on a non-Firepro/Quadro machine. It's usable now. Looks like I'll join those folks in sitting around waiting for a solution from nVidia.